General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Buying New HHR (Possibly)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:00 AM

Buying New HHR (Possibly)

Hello folks,

I may be getting a new HHR. I test drove a couple and I was impressed. However, the one I really like is a brand new Black 2.2L 5spd. I cant convince mom(since she is nice enough to pay for it!) to let me get a manual instead of an automatic. I already went over the fact that you extend the life of your brake pads, get a couple of extra MPG. She wont hear of it though.

Not to mention that the LT Automatic, is $3,500 more than the 5spd LT.

I hold emergency driving certification and can drive a stick fine, as 90% of the fire apparatus at the department I am with is manual transmission. Hence, I dont see what the problem is???

Anything anyone can add here that may help change her mind would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:05 AM

I'm suprised they are charging you that much more for the automatic. IIRC, mine was only $1,000 more. What are her objections to getting a manual as opposed to an automatic?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:08 AM

Sorry, not going to be able to help.. and here's why..
Originally Posted by bisho1p
I already went over the fact that you extend the life of your brake pads, get a couple of extra MPG.
Sorry, this isn't quite true. Drive in I gear and you'll get that same "slowdown" from the automatic that you would going through the gears of the manual. Also, there is almost unmeasureable differences in MPG between the manual and auto.

Not to mention that the LT Automatic, is $3,500 more than the 5spd LT.
Uh, I'd run away from the dealership that is charging that price. There has to be some other options thrown in there. At MOST, the MSRP difference is only 1k, not 3500.

I hold emergency driving certification and can drive a stick fine, as 90% of the fire apparatus at the department I am with is manual transmission. Hence, I dont see what the problem is???
The problem is that you don't have the money, your mom does, and she doesn't want you in the manual. Seems pretty simple to me.

Honestly, I wanted a manual at first as well, but am glad I opted for the auto. Living in Richmond I would think you would want the auto as well with the traffic and all. Good luck though.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:08 AM

Hmmm... Less prone to breakage, cheaper to repair, none of that new-fangled electronic what-not controlling your shifting?

Cool smoky burnouts probably won't sway her. Nor would being able to hold a lower gear while clipping an apex in order to power out properly.

You've already pointed out that it's more efficient. I think she has ulterior motives. Let me guess, she doesn't know how to drive a manual?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:10 AM

I have to agree with the question on price. I have an auto it it was only like 1000 more. I enjoy a 5 speed but to lazy. So I got the auto plus I wanted the remote start for here in Az so I can cool the car down some
Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 AM

The auto is in fact 1000 bucks with remote start. That's the option. PERIOD. If the dealer is telling you otherwise, then the dealer is full of s***. Mom always knows best ( at least that's what my Mom always told me ) so if she's paying for it, take the auto!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 AM

My wife and I have the 2.4 2LT with just about all the stuff including the auto trans and we both love. I drove the stick and liked it also, but did not like the stick location it felt to low for me. We get about 23.5 to 24.7 mpg or 350 miles per tank, thats between city and highway. For me brake pads are cheep and easy to change, I always change the long before the are worn out or cause rotor damage. The auto has good acceleration off the line and at cruising speed. Which ever you chose you can't go wrong.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Maybe the one at the dealer with the ATX has other options as well as the tranny bring it up to a 3500 price hike, it may have also included the 2.4 engine and other goodies.

As far as the MT Vs the ATX goes it's all a matter of preference. Myself, I prefer the MT anytime. The MTX does give you a little more control and it can save some on brake wear provided you know how to use the MT properly.

Then again there's alway's future repair costs to consider in the event of a tranny failure, the ATX will be more expensive. In the long run if you know how to operate the MT properly you may never have to do anything to it except replace the lube occassionally and barring any failure the MT will out live the ATX in most cases.

Good luck with your selection, either way it will be a + just to have an HHR.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:53 AM

Ok lets get the chevy salesman involved now. Everyone is exactly correct. The auto trans option is $1000 and you get remore start.

I also have to agree about the stick location. when I drove a stick during out GM ride and drive event, i had to have my armrest up so i could reach low to shift. i didnt like that.

I think the one gentleman hit the nail on the head: Mom doesnt know how to drive stick. And if she is paying for it, You know she is going to want to drive it. how old are you by the way? you should be so lucky to get a car. I had to buy my first car. and that was when i was 21. hell if you mom buys you a crappy car, be grateful, no everyone is as lucky as you. if you was my kid, id buy you the LS! hell, if you want stick shift so bad, i'd buy you a special value package Aveo, and then spend the rest of my money on myself in the Bahammas!!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:13 AM

I think Batman is right as was Tokyo and I would agree. Really Mom is buying it and My guess is she may need to get grocerys sometime!!!! :twothumbs

Quick Reply: Buying New HHR (Possibly)