General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

bypass fog light switch??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 AM

I'm with Later. They may not be blinding but they are irritating. Just more glare that decreases my night vision.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Putter
(I couldn't verify because there are no pics in your album)...but can I assume that your vehicle is unmodified and plain-jane? No nice wheels, no stubby antenna, no replacement headlights nor taillights? Nothing?
I say this because that is all cosmetic stuff that can't be seen while you are behind the wheel, and is usually installed because the owner likes "the look".

In central Mississippi we rarely get fog. EVERYBODY that has fogs here RUNS them. Especially those wanna-be-soccer moms in their mega-transporter-Tahoes, Burbs, Expeditions and Excursions.

And the "unless you need them" part should be on the same page as not using your winkie unless you intent to create new life with your partner.
I am not looking to start an argument but as one poster indicated, they are bright and irritating to oncoming traffic. I know, around here in the Detroit Metro area, courtesy is not a big thing for a lot of people, especially when they are surrounded by a protective coat of sheet metal on 4 wheels.

We have 1LT with the chrome package, running boards and whatever came with the 1LT package. The only thing added was rubber floor mats. I took what was on the lot, because GM was knocking off 4 large and the dealer threw in 1 more to get it moved. The wife loves just the way it is.

I am curious how do you get one without a stubby antenna? What's wrong with the stock headlights and taillights?

I throw enough money away on my 2 motorcycles without dumping more into a car that looks fine just the way I bought it.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:56 PM

I run my fogs all the time also as I like the look. plus I have found that whaen I turn the fogs on the headlights turn off... during the daytime of course
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by gottahaveheart
There is nothing at all "blinding" about fog lights unless they are improperly aimed...as a matter of fact, foglights cannot function as intended unless they are aimed low to the pavement......just like daytime running lights, they do provide at least a small amount of added safety (day or night) and they do look very cool, even if I can't see them from the drivers seat...
That is partially incorrect about the blinding fog lights. I've been blinded by plenty of vehicles running fog lights. Fog lights are more of a gimmick feature than a safety feature. If they were an actual safety feature, then insurance companies would give discounts for having them on your vehicle, as they do with day time running lights. Also, if your vehicles sits lower than another then you can easily get blinded by the lights of a vehicle even if they are aimed correctly. Perfect example is a pickup truck and SUV fog lights. Which are about the only lights I get blinded by since buying the HHR due to the upright sitting style in that vehicle. Jump in another car like the cobalt and suddenly a lot more lights become blinding at night. I like how fog lights look as well, but I'm still considerate of oncoming drivers and leave them off unless I need them in inclement weather to see the lanes of the road. Obviously other drivers could care less and they is fine. But when you start claiming something with a blanket phrase such as "nothing" or "all", then I'm going to have to call you out on that.