General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

A/c

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Question A/c

In one of the threads, someone was saying that using the "recycle" button on the A/C, that it cycles the A/C on and off once the car's temp gets "low" enough. In reading the manual, it doesn't say anything about the A/C recycling, just that it may dry the air too much. I do notice that by using the recycle switch, the A/C runs even when the A/C is switched off. So what is going on? The car does cool down a lot quicker with the recycle on. After three years of ownership, I still discover interesting features.

In my last car, it had a temperature setting, and the A/C or heat would come on depending on the outside conditions. (it was a great feature, but horribly expensive to fix, when it had problems)
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 PM

I dont think using the recycle button alone w/o pushing the a/c button is actually the a/c is it. I alway just it the recycle and never push the a/c button (doesn't light up) it gets cool enough in the car w/o using the a/c too.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe the a/c is only on when the light on the button is lit, even if you use the recycle/recirculate button.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 AM

When you are on recirc, the AC is going, but the light is not on. Tricky.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 AM

on my Suburban it says the recycle is max air in conjuction with a/c, so assume it would be the same in the HHR
Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 AM

The Recirculate butoon is the same as MAX air in the old cars. It Just draws the air from inside the car to cool vs pulling in air from out side. It also speeds the fan up.

This is a very old GM feature with a new name and button.

The bad part of todays cars is you ave to reset it every time you get in when in the past the lever just was pushed to the left on it and it stayed there most of the summer.

Either way recuirculate is the coldest setting you have for you HHR.

Anyone remember bilevel? The setting that put the air in the vents and your feet at the same time. It is just another notch on the dial now. Nothing new here just the names and buttons have been changes.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Anyone remember bilevel? The setting that put the air in the vents and your feet at the same time. It is just another notch on the dial now. Nothing new here just the names and buttons have been changes.
I like it a lot better the old way. Well, not too old like my trucks.... It doesn't have any a/c. But the Lumina, not very hard to figure out.

I'm always learning something new on this car!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I like it a lot better the old way. Well, not too old like my trucks.... It doesn't have any a/c. But the Lumina, not very hard to figure out.

I'm always learning something new on this car!
The climate control in my old SSEI Bonneville was the best. set it and forget it. Just turn up the temp when it is cold and turn it down when it is hot.

The wifes next car will have it. She has put me on notice that is the one thing she has to have.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM

haha so I have been using the a/c and thinking it wasn't on. lol I figured the recirculate was cold enough I would not need to "turn on" the a/c. Wow guess I still have alot to learn, since my other car and the one I replaced are 10 yrs +
Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
You mean something like this?
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Nice pic! Good ol' bi-level.

I've heard, not confirmed nor put much stock in it, that gas mileage is better with max/recirc. air on rather than regular a/c.