General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Calling all dog owners! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Calling all dog owners! Need advice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys. im looking for a hand. I have a large greyhound and im wondering if he will fit in the back of an HHR.

anybody who regularly travels with a large dog in the back of their HHR, please respond! it would be very helpful if you know your dog's back/spine height and length from nose to rump. I tried to measure my greyhound and his back is about 31" tall and he's about 42" from the tip of his nose to his rump.

anybody with some insight would be greatly appreciated. im debating just seeing if the dealership will let me take one home for an hour so I can check manually... but that will probably be a 2 hour endeavor and I was hoping for a quick answer on here :)

thanks in advance guys!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

It won't be a worry - we have a 90+ lb. lab/mastiff cross - yeah, she is big and lanky with long legs - and there is no problem at all. Sorry, no measurements, as she won't sit still for me to take them. We often throw the dog in the back with her bed and still have enough for our weekend gear at the rv we go to. We generally put our suitcases and a catch-all box on one side (with the rear seats folded down), and a HUGE cooler crosswise behind the passenger seat, and the dog bed goes between it and the rear hatch. If we are not hauling a lot of stuff, we leave the seats up, and put the dog bed between the seat backs and the rear hatch - works great - she can always stretch out/turn around etc..
Tip for travelling: freeze a plastic bottle of water for the dog on those hot days - it melts slowly, and the dog appreciates it.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:11 PM

I have two Great Pyrenees. Your Greyhound will fit fine.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 PM

I have a overweight bullmastiff that fits just fine in the back although he likes the front....
Old 03-11-2010, 07:59 PM

My Greyhound fits with plenty of room to spare. Of course, he's an Italian Greyhound so that makes a difference Let us know how it goes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM

My yellow lab loves to go in the back of my HHR, If she was black i might let her.
she's 75 lbs. and fit's back there well.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Had 2 St Bernards....they went to the cabins with us......plus luggage
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 PM

No problem

We have a Great Pyrenes/Bernese Mountain Dog cross. He is about 120 lbs. 32" at the shoulders and about 42" long. He goes in the back of our panel with no problem although we rarely take much else along. There would not be a lot of room for suitcases and such.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 PM

I think the G-hound should be just fine back there. My lab loves to ride in the back, but I tell her she has to pull her weight around here also... Here she is assisting me with the caliper painting project!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM

My 103# Malamute fits fine with the back seat up for short distances and with one seat down for longer trips.

Quick Reply: Calling all dog owners! Need advice!