General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Calling all dog owners! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:57 AM

I have 2 Irish Wolfhounds - either one of them will not fit

When our youngest wolfie kid was a puppy - I took him for a spin in our HHR once

FYI - we have a Chevy Astro to accommodate our wolfie kids (rear bench removed) ....
Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 PM

With the seats down, my 225# English Mastiff is comfortable, but with the seats up, he's miserable, and can't lay down. My lab has no problems with the back only though, she's only 75# though...
Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM

I rescue dogs and transport them to the new adopters or the foster family alot. I hauled an 80# dog 750 miles to his new family with no problems and have had as many as six dogs in my HHR at one time to go to the vet who is 10 miles away. Two dogs are 55#, one 95#, one 66# and two 43# dogs. What I do is fold the rear seats forward and lay a rubber mat down on the floor. I cut the black rubber mat to fit so that when I open the the tailgate I can fold the end of the mat over the bumper to protect it from being scratched by the dogs toenails as they climb up. Then I just fold the 8 inch piece back into the truck and shut the tailgate. I know that most of the time the dogs can jump right in but there is always those times they don't make it and their feet scramble to get in and it will scratch the bumper pretty bad. You will have no problem carrying your greyhound. One time I carried 2 greyhounds about 70 miles to their new foster family after I picked them up from another transporter with our group. To put in a word for all dog rescues they help keep dogs who are abused and mistreated find a good home with good people. Rescue, don't buy from a pet shop.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by chula52.1
I cut the black rubber mat to fit so that when I open the the tailgate I can fold the end of the mat over the bumper to protect it from being scratched by the dogs toenails as they climb up. Then I just fold the 8 inch piece back into the truck and shut the tailgate. I know that most of the time the dogs can jump right in but there is always those times they don't make it and their feet scramble to get in and it will scratch the bumper pretty bad.

To put in a word for all dog rescues they help keep dogs who are abused and mistreated find a good home with good people. Rescue, don't buy from a pet shop.
Good idea with the rubber mat... I carry a rug that I rollout across the bumper to keep mine from scratching it as well.

I totally agree on the rescue dogs also. Our last 2 dogs were "rescues" and they were absolutely fantastic! Nice to know they got a 2nd chance and did so well rebounding from a rough life!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
Good idea with the rubber mat... I carry a rug that I rollout across the bumper to keep mine from scratching it as well.

I totally agree on the rescue dogs also. Our last 2 dogs were "rescues" and they were absolutely fantastic! Nice to know they got a 2nd chance and did so well rebounding from a rough life!
my yellow lab is a rescue she is the best
Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM

i have 2 pomeranians they fit fine LOL.. sorry couldnt resist!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:07 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by stephenm
i have 2 pomeranians they fit fine LOL.. sorry couldnt resist!
In the glove box!! Sorry couldn't resist!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfie
I have 2 Irish Wolfhounds - either one of them will not fit

When our youngest wolfie kid was a puppy - I took him for a spin in our HHR once

FYI - we have a Chevy Astro to accommodate our wolfie kids (rear bench removed) ....

You MUST post pics of your wolfies!!!! I'm currently split between either getting an Irish Wolfhound or a Great Dane as my next dog. Both are neat dogs
Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
My yellow lab... If she was black...
Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
Why is it always about color ?

Yeah BATMAN, why is it always about color?? Especially black and yellow!!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM

I have a 85-90lb Greyhound. He is a big boy very tall. He fits perfectly in the back even with the seats up. He has plenty of room and can even stand up and move around if he wishes to re-arange himself. Its is actually why i bought the HHR.

Quick Reply: Calling all dog owners! Need advice!