General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Can someone tell me what is an EcoTech engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM

Can someone tell me what is an EcoTech engine?

I am trying to figure out just what exactly EcoTech means....I have never seen nor heard of this before getting my HHR....so can anyone explain to me what this means? I know I get really good gas mileage....does this EcoTech thing have anything to do with that? I also feel that the car is a little sluggish on acceleration.....does it have any effect on that? Can anyone offer any suggestions that I can try to get a little more umph from my car on acceleration? I noticed that if I put my foot higher up on the gas pedal it tends to respond better....or is that just something I made up in my head? I think I have the 2.2L.....

Thanx....Anita
Old 01-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecotec
Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#Ecotec

It's an engine which has been around since 2000, which (if it follows the norm) means it's a good engine & has plenty of support & parts out there. Not that we have to worry... with GM's 100,000 mile warranty!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 PM

Good answers above....

Personally I think it's because Honda came out with the infamous VTEC in the early '90's and since then, just about everyone have a "tec" motor. I think they just want it to sound the same.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
Good answers above....
Easier than typing. I could have just said our family of engines but I figured they might want to know where the word Ecotec came from.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:12 PM

many auto manufacturers named their generation of engines.

Honda's VTEC is an acronym
Ford used its InTech engine

EcoTec = another acronym:

Emissions Control Optimisation TEChnology
GM also has its Vortec line up.

But ecoTec Family II engines, although introduced circa 2000, are a modern version of the original Family I engines that populated many GM/Euro cars such as Opel with the 1.7-2.4 liter family.

In a nutshell, the EcoTec is a family of engines designed to make efficient power using small CC size which are cleaner-burning(emissions) than earlier versions.

One bit of good news for many that havent realized it yet...the 2.4 liter engine uses a timing chain assembly for cam timing, as opposed to a serviceable timing belt like many of today's OHC 4-cylinder engines. I honestly dont know if the 2.2 uses a chain as well, since i dont have a 2.2.

EDIT:

of course...duh. The 2.2 also uses a timing chain...they are considered one of the "lowest required maintenance" engines in GM's stable.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 PM

didn't ford have a ztec in the focus??
Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by SIRESMERPH
didn't ford have a ztec in the focus??
Zetec
Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
EcoTec = another acronym:

Emissions Control Optimisation TEChnology...

In a nutshell, the EcoTec is a family of engines designed to make efficient power using small CC size which are cleaner-burning(emissions) than earlier versions....
well I always thought Ecotec meant ecologically-friendly technology. since it was so fuel-efficient. goes to show you what i know.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 PM

Ecotec comes from the small country of Ecotomania, a small area (only a half a mile long and a quarter mile wide) between Germany and Austria. The country boasts of having the most engineers and designers per capita in the world: 1.5462 engineers per 2.1368367 people (they are very exact).

They invented the Ecotec engine, the Ecotec hydrolic hair stem removal system and the Ecotec turbo charged electric toothbrush. The people from Ecotomania are known as "Ecotomanians" and they eat the meat of the rare Ecotomonkeyfroglion which is found only in Ecotomania.

Their favorite past time is standing behind Jet Engines while another Ecotomanian throws ball bearings into the roaring engines; then those behind the engine duck and weave, missing the ball bearings, and, at the same time, counting the ball bearings as they go whizzing by. The one that gets the exact count correctly gets to kiss Miss Ecotomania (picture below) and eat the nose of the rare Ecotomonkeyfroglion. NOTE: The older, slower Ecotomanians are also known as TEWBBS (Those Embedded With Ball Bearings). The more ball bearings embbeded in your body, the greater your standing in the community, BUT, you can't become a TEWBBS until you are at least 104 years old.

Hope this helps. Here is a picture of Miss Ecotomanian 2007:

Quick Reply: Can someone tell me what is an EcoTech engine?