General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

CarQuest NGT Extreme AGM Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
Make sure it is a AGM not a jell cell, you dont want a jell cell, I did not know that Deka made a AGM battery.
Click the link I posted below my pic of the battery.

Clearly it's advertised as AGM.

I bought directly from the distribution warehouse. I'm sure they have others.
East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc.
2427 Braga Drive
Broadview, IL

This place has No "Retail" storefront, I called before going to ask some questions. I was asked if I had an Account with them. I explained what I wanted and he told me to come in.
This place was in an industrial park area not a retail area.

Here is Deka's website.
http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=4

And this is the PDF link I posted earlier.
http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/1143.pdf
Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 AM

Deka Battery

Purchasing the Deka AGM battery is a good move. Where I work we sell nothing but Deka AGM batteries that are used by bass fishermen, even though they are a deep cycle battery and will last a long time (3-7 yrs of service) before needing replacing. Your battery should last a very long time even with heavy usage.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by reelhhr09
Purchasing the Deka AGM battery is a good move. Where I work we sell nothing but Deka AGM batteries that are used by bass fishermen, even though they are a deep cycle battery and will last a long time (3-7 yrs of service) before needing replacing. Your battery should last a very long time even with heavy usage.
Good to know, from someone with actual experience with them.

On the Cobalt forum there is a guy who answers Alot of the audio questions and is highly reguarded as knowing his stuff on the subject.
He and I have been discussing my audio/video install for awhile now and he gave me the link to the Deka.

He is currently running Dual Alternators on his Cobalt with Dual Kinetic batteries.
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/products.asp

He had heard that the carquest extreme agm was made for them by the Deka suppliers and that Deka upped their own specs slightly recently to up their own Intimidator line.
Awhile back they both had the same specs.

My OEM battery had been giving me some troubles, Before the full audio install was installed.

Sometimes after sitting a few days, I would get the old click click click, dead battery when going to start it, I'd hook up my snap-on battery charger/starter unit and jump it off and be on my way.

With the install, the battery needed a jump in the morning after cranking the tunes while driving it around.

Bad battery or too much power being used for alt to keep up?
I figured once the Dealer saw all the audio stuff hooked up they would not cover a new oem battery saying that was the cause so I just opted to get a Good battery and go from there.

I'll have the old battery tested and if it checks out I will keep it on standby in the garage in case I need it for a jump start out someplaced, I can call home and have someone bring that battery along for a jumper.

So far several short low speed trips around town crankin tunes and it has started after sitting awhile without a problem.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Rest In Peace

In case anyone was wondering, my new battery has a Black Top as seen in my supplied pic. (I was kinda wondering that one myself since they show it in the PDF and the website as a Yellow topped battery.)

Name:  4315d93c.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  50.6 KB

I just got an email about a Battery Giveaway, you can see it Here>

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...promotion.html

And they are saying this>

East Penn/Deka is making some changes to their product line, primarily their Deka Intimidator/AGM line. As we all know, Deka Intimidators have a yellow top. They will no longer be manufacturing the Intimidator as a yellow top battery. Every Intimidator will have a black top.

Remy Battery bought out all remaining Yellow Topped Intimidator AGM Batteries, but they will Not be "Branded" as the Deka Intimidator.

So I guess I did get the Newest version by going directly to the warehouse/supplier in my area. Black Topped has better Specs, than the previous yellow topped version.

I was kinda thinking Hmm did I get the right one, being it has the Black Top, now I know, I did.

Anyways, I am very pleased with this battery so far. I may have had a weak or dying OEM Delco battery.
Once in awhile after sitting a few days, I would have to jump start my Panel, but after the full audio system install went in, I had to jump start my car every day after driving around and cranking some tunes.

Not sure if the Dealer would have replaced the OEM or not with the new audio system hooked up, not like I could Hide it from them, it's all hooked up in the back tray, with 2 amps and wiring, cables and electrical terminal block, 4 headrest monitors and a big ol 12"sub woofer in the back. With New battery cable connectors and wiring hooked into them.

My Panel has had a few short drives for Coffee and some cranking tunes then I parked it the last 2 days, and I just stepped outside and it fired right up.
I may not need a second one powering up my system afterall, I will see over the Winter here to know for sure.

These aren't cheap batteries I paid $177.50 for it after Taxes.
These type batteries are used by guys with higher powered audio systems.

I was reading a thread were the guy cut out the rear floor of his Chevy Suburban and added a sunk in battery tray that holds 6 batteries, with 2 up front under the hood, Plus another bank of 5 or 6 in the back and his batteries were at least twice the price each. OUCH!

The Cableing alone was WILD!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM

Jonathan Price ran those batteries. The black top is just a manufacturing change. The old versions are being given away by Remy, on CA.