General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Carrying Fuel in the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Carrying Fuel in the HHR

All the safety issues aside – I will and do carry a spare gas can in the vehicle today and always will. Please no lectures on the safety of this practice. While safety is not ignored entirely I am trying to procure an “as safe” as possible gas container with the following features:

Minimum 2-gallon capacity. The HHR likes at least this much put into an empty tank before it recognizes it has been filled from empty – more if not on level ground. It seems the HHR will not restart until the computer recognizes fuel has been put into the gas tank. I would prefer not to go all the way up to a 5 gallon container, but if the foot print is right, I will.

No or very little vapor escape. Like most humans I do not like to breath in gas fumes.

Rectangular or square foot print. I pack a lot into my vehicle (work truck) and round just wastes space.

Plastic is preferable to metal – I think. The expansion and contraction of plastic is better than metal.

It does not have to be recognized for “Fuel use in Motor Vehicles”.

Currently I am carrying a 2-gallon squat, square plastic can that is leaking at the screw-on-top. It is old and needs replacing, plus the capacity is a little small.

If this sounds familiar, as in this has been asked before, yes I have:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/carrying-fuel-20829/

Please, if possible supply manufacture and model number; a link to a web site with pictures would be even better.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM

The biggest problem you will have is the vapor. I have yet to find a gas can that didn't smell up the interior no matter how careful I was.

I haul a generator and gas in the back of my Suburban for camping outings. I ended up building a "vaporproof" sealed box to keep the gas can and generator in.

This site has some rectangular gas cans in various capacities:

http://www.gemplers.com/fuel-cans

This can is DOT approved for transport (not necessarily vapor-proof) and really expensive:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/9797...-II-Safety-Can

Steve
Old 01-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Cool

Forget the gas can...There's a post out there where they discuss the electric fuel pumps in the HHR and other rides, going bad because the tank is ran down below 1/4 all the time. They mentioned that this puts extra strain on this "Very Expense" pump. I had a fuel pump in my old Astro van go bad. $200 plus to fix. Drop tank, clean tank, new pump, ETC... The tech asked me if I let the tank go below 1/4 often. When I said yes, he told me about the same thing that I read in that post. Plus, when you gas up, sediment from under ground gas tanks ends up in your tank. So when you go low you could pull junk off the bottom of your tank into your fuel system......I just act like the 1/4 tank mark is "Empty".
Don't know if any of this is relevent to your "Gas Can" question, but I tought you might like to know...Ohno (Rick)
Old 01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Founding Member

I know you said safety issues aside so I won't troll those comments...so all I can say is top it off more often and there will be no worries.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I know you said safety issues aside so I won't troll those comments...so all I can say is top it off more often and there will be no worries.
+1

The chances of actually needing to use it to getting in a potential accident outweigh carrying extra fuel inside the car.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:18 PM

It is so much more work to worry about running out than just to stop and fill it up.

I never understood that lets drive it down to as low as you can do thing. I have a buddy that does that and I have found him along the road too many times.

One thing to consider too. If we have a attack like 9/11, power outage like the east cost did a few years back or weather issue a can of gas will not help much. Just recently we had my wifes aunt in WV was with out power for a week and they could not pump gas. She had enough to get to another station but many people did not have the fuel to make the 45 min drive to the next place that was open and able to pump.

the fumes of fuel are what are dangerous. These are what ignite. Any thing that is electrical with gas fumes or propane in the car can lead to some really big issue.

Best to use the can to go get gas for the mower and keep what you would carry in it for your car in your tank. They made it 16 gallons for a reason.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

while reading your post regarding xtra fuel..couldnt help but notice that "I" was mentioned many times..any thought towards say an unsuspecting fire rescue or police dept tryin to save your butt from a burning car???i can see with a work vehicle that you may need xtra fuel from time to time..we professional(commercial)drivers atleast install placards or some form of notification of xtra combustible materials to let said people aware..I speak from xperience..not tryin to sound like a jerk by no means..just tryin to bring awareness..YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN!!!!!!!like ive said in the past..I hear it at every wreck...10 times a day!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM

I use a 10 litre plastic gasoline container behind the drivers seat of my Panel. Power the seat back and the can is wedged in. Also it is vapour proof. I typically squeeze the sides in somewhat before sealing the cap down ... but leave an air cushion in there.

There are a couple of reasons to carry spare gas, particularly in remote or cold regions. To help out someone else and to increase your range if driving after hours and allow for idling if you get held up by closed roads etc.. Around town I don't carry spare gas for s*f*ty reasons.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 PM

I picked up something like this Emergency gas
Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 PM

I think the safest thing would be to have a hitch installed and getting a small cargo platform for the hitch. Mount a portable gas container on there. That way it stay out of the passenger cabin.

Quick Reply: Carrying Fuel in the HHR