General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Carrying Fuel in the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Don't know why this fire happened to this HHR, but maybe you'll think twice about carrying gas around all the time. It sould only be temp at that with the windows open. The video below normally works-but if you have a hard time starting it just move the "slide bar" under the video to about a 3rd of the way and it should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-4dIFAqSQ

By the way-gasoline has a vapor plume that can hover thickly above the ground to about 23 inches. If you have a large can in your car and have the doors open with the car running, the plume could be sucked/vented out of the car to the front of the motor and cause an insurance/hospital/morgue problem. With all the HAZMAT training vids I have had to watch over the years...
Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Are portable gas containers available that are puncture and crush resistant in the event of a catastrophic crash or rollover? I never considered this because I don't carry them. If not, it should at least be placed and secured in an area least prone to damage.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Yup, I knew I would take HEAT on this one!

Actually I’ve had several vehicles burn to the ground, so fire is no stranger. Luckily I was not in them at the time – arson.

Yes, fumes are what burn, not liquid – most of Hollywood is bogus with their fiery explosions. After my pick up truck fire, the plastic gas can in the bed still had gas in it. How hot was the fire? The aluminum utility shell was a pool of metal on the ground. As for the plastic gas can, the top melted off; literally the sides of the plastic gas can were still very much intact.

I have also been in an accident with my past work truck at freeway speeds, both vehicles totaled. The way I pack, everything just shifted forward after the initial collision. No leaks of any fuel – of course, with the can being in the pickup bed I was not in any immediately danger anyway. As all of you are aware the HHR is an all-in-one cab - a different story.

Nice to know about the possible low fuel wear on the fuel pump. I have an 4X4 vehicle whose fuel pump makes a lot of noise when the tank is low. That is actually how I know the fuel is getting low – the gauge does not work well with the after market fuel tank.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by celblazer
I picked up something like this Emergency gas
Not sure what that stuff is or if it would be good for the emissions equipment. Most of the links were dead and the stuff has been manufacturer discontinued.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Anybody have any experience with those flat tanks that get strapped onto ATV racks?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

That's one thing I miss about not having my S-10 anymore.. Because I have to get gas every 2-2.5 months (in season) for my mowers, weed eater, edger, & blower..

But also have a gas station just in town..I use a plastic 5 gallon can with a vent-LESS cap..& straight to get gas & home.

PS: I don't run under 1/2 tank in my HHR, as long as I can help it..
I'm aware of possible sucking junk off the tank bottom, & extra work for Elec pump..
Old 01-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Smile FYI about underground tanks...

In my life dealing with underground tanks for 30 + years, here are some facts not everyone knows.

1. All underground tanks have some water in them from outside air moisture or returned air from auto fuel tanks. Result is some water usually around 1" or less always present in underfground tanks, but if tank is installed correct the water is at the opposite end from the pump mounted in the tank.

2. Water will only be sturred up while tanker above is unloading fuel ( like oil and water ) but settles back to the bottom very quickly. So... Never ever buy gas at a location while there is a truck unloading fuel. Period.

I drove a tanker delivering fuel for years and installed hundreds of underground fuel tanks for years and I can tell you without any crap that this is a fact.

3. All fuel dispensers today have filters in them and do catch any particulates that may be picked up, but unless the filters in the fuel pumps have a water/particulate filter combo installed (cost 5.00 more) it is unlikely you will get any trash.

4. Try to buy fuel at a high volume station that sells more fuel than most and you will be best served, and your HHR will stay happy as well.

There are a lot of confusing stories about fuel dispensers. Not all stories are the same like people....all different with a little of the same inside.

I always fill up at a quarter tank for many reasons if possible, I have replaced my share of pumps in auto tanks as well and previous point about low fuel is very true.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Sno White, Yes we've used the flat ATV strap on tanks many times over the years. Between '02 & '06 we took 4 Hondas riding to Colorado, Ohio, Arizonia and Michigan. A lot of the trails and rides were longer than the 3.5 gallon ATV tanks would allow so we each carried the extra tanks. I don't have the tanks anymore so can't tell you the brand but they were heavier plastic than the regular 5 or 6 gallon tanks that we all normally use.

They were also non vented and did not have spouts attached so when you tightened the caps there was never any leaks even after tightening the rachet straps to secure them to the racks. Couple times one the the quads would end up on it's side or the tank would come unsecured and go flying off but i don't think there was ever a leak. I want to say they were 2.5 gallon but 1 was 3.5 gallon for the SIL's gas guzzler.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks JWDavis for adding your info. I have never believed that crap about sediment getting sucked up into fuel pumps since the early 80's. Most gas station fuel storage tanks here in metro/surburban new york seem to be changed every couple of years. There are (supposed to be) screens in each cars gas tank intake/up take hose/tube to keep out large particulate from entering the fuel pump. (Worked 20 + years part time in a Auto Parts Store) I have replaced many pumps and tanks since I started "hobbyist" repairs back in 1982. Just did a 1990 Lebaron, 190,000+ miles-no sediment. (I was the only guy in the neighborhood that had the brass (balls) hammers, punches, & tools to remove the in tank pumps-even on full tanks of gas) There was never any particulate in the tanks. Once and a while there was very fine powder like peices of deteriated rubber fuel line and return hose that always stayed in the tank because the intake of the fuel pump was always about an 1/2 inch above the bottom of the tank.

Also maybe a helpful answer to some of the "sloshing" noises heard from the back of the car- each gas tank has some sort of baffle surrounding the intake to the fuel pump, which helps keep a steady flow of gas to the intake. If the baffle was not there, and the way some of us ride like we are on rails, the fuel would slosh around so much that the fuel flow would be interupted to the pump causing air to enter the fuel line stalling the vehicle. It could be possible that our tank was not designed properly, or because of the HHRs rear cargo storage area with the spare so low that the tank has been pushed to forward of the vehicle in a weird center of gravity so when the car moves out of a slanted driveway or a big guy like myself gets in the HHR it makes the gas slosh around the baffle.

And yes for all of you wondering- I am a jack of all trades, but a master of none. Just like to throw my half a cent in.

This forum is great, and with all our combined knowledge of auto mechanics, whether is is super technical with mind boggling mathmatical figures, a huge set of nuts when building unbeliveable mods, or hands on down and dirty old folk like myself (and many of you...), we must have 100's of years of mechanical skills expiriance between us all. I know it may not mean much from an HHR newbie to the forum, but thank you for all the info and info to come.

Mike

Last edited by BlackknighT; 01-17-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by J W Davis
In my life dealing with underground tanks for 30 + years, here are some facts not everyone knows.

1. All underground tanks have some water in them from outside air moisture or returned air from auto fuel tanks. Result is some water usually around 1" or less always present in underfground tanks, but if tank is installed correct the water is at the opposite end from the pump mounted in the tank.

2. Water will only be sturred up while tanker above is unloading fuel ( like oil and water ) but settles back to the bottom very quickly. So... Never ever buy gas at a location while there is a truck unloading fuel. Period.

I drove a tanker delivering fuel for years and installed hundreds of underground fuel tanks for years and I can tell you without any crap that this is a fact.

3. All fuel dispensers today have filters in them and do catch any particulates that may be picked up, but unless the filters in the fuel pumps have a water/particulate filter combo installed (cost 5.00 more) it is unlikely you will get any trash.

4. Try to buy fuel at a high volume station that sells more fuel than most and you will be best served, and your HHR will stay happy as well.

There are a lot of confusing stories about fuel dispensers. Not all stories are the same like people....all different with a little of the same inside.

I always fill up at a quarter tank for many reasons if possible, I have replaced my share of pumps in auto tanks as well and previous point about low fuel is very true.

Hope this helps.
What I've always wanted to know is, how do they get the different grades of fuel out of the same truck? Is there some sort of valve that they switch over, or what? Also, around here, there are stations that advertise as being Marathon, BP, or whatever, but the same fuel truck delivers to all of them, why is that?

I've also heard about that safety alternative gas, that others mentioned. It might be worth looking into. Like other's have said, it's the fumes that are dangerous, not the liquid part of the gas itself. I saw somewhere, where they dropped a lit match in a can of gasoline, and it just went out.

Quick Reply: Carrying Fuel in the HHR