General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Carrying Fuel in the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Also maybe a helpful answer to some of the "sloshing" noises heard from the back of the car- each gas tank has some sort of baffle surrounding the intake to the fuel pump, which helps keep a steady flow of gas to the intake. If the baffle was not there, and the way some of us ride like we are on rails, the fuel would slosh around so much that the fuel flow would be interupted to the pump causing air to enter the fuel line stalling the vehicle. It could be possible that our tank was not designed properly, or because of the HHRs rear cargo storage area with the spare so low that the tank has been pushed to forward of the vehicle in a weird center of gravity so when the car moves out of a slanted driveway or a big guy like myself gets in the HHR it makes the gas slosh around the baffle.

Mike
I’d like to say these baffles in the HHR work too perfectly. In every other vehicle I have owned I get a good indication I am running out of fuel when I take corners or going up or down hills and the vehicle engine sputters at which time I know I must find a gas station very soon. My HHR never has hiccupped even once before just stopping from fuel starvation.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM

Smile Hauling Extra Gas Inside HHR

I used to haul 20 + gals of gas in the back of my pick up until several years ago.... I made up 2x4 pockets on the bed floor, under them I layed down some old snowmobile track's. By keeping the cans in a space were they could not tip, then with them sitting on toe rubber tracks there was less of a chance of staic spark.
I even went so far as to lay a sheet of plywood on top of all the can's and then used a cargo clamp to hold then all in place.
After I sold off the pick up I bought a 4 door Jimmy, I customised the carrier to fit in the back. The floor had 4 anchor hooks so I could used a cargo strap on the plywood.

Now the only reason I would haul all that gas was because were I live here in NY, real close to an Indiean reservation that was selling gas from any were from $ .30 to $.50a gal less that the stations off the reservation in those day's, mid 80's or so. Today I can save no were as much maybe $.25 a gal.
Some day's I would make two or three trip's to the reservation, I was reselling it at the same price as I paid to friends & family who found it hard to get there during open hours. I called the service to a hault real fast when one night a fella who came down from Canada, he had filled his truck tank and all the cans he could haul in the back. The story that went around back then was that one of the can's was leaking and was dripping out of the bed down onto the muffler. You all know what that lead tooo, right. He lost his life along with two other people sitting next to him at a traffic light on his way back over the border.
Right after that all the local Police were order to stop and impound any amount of gas in cans over 5 gals. And that 5 gal can had to be tied down !
Now day's I'm just getting to old to husslle a gas can. I will only fill a small 2 gal can for the lawn mower.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by skyeglen
Sno White, Yes we've used the flat ATV strap on tanks many times over the years. Between '02 & '06 we took 4 Hondas riding to Colorado, Ohio, Arizonia and Michigan
I did the same thing in the mountains of NE PA back in 1986 thru 1990 when many did not even know what an ATV was. We used extra gas on the mtns to get back to our starting point. No GPS, just had to leave markers like a found tire or piece of rubbish that was found to mark crossroads. But we didn't worry about fumes because they were strapped on the racks of the ATV, not inside of a car.

PS. I bought my 1986 Honda TRX 250 for $2250 brand new. It was the biggest utility ATV of its time when I bought it. I still use it today for gardening and hauling garbage to the street.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM

I haven't carried gas in my cars since the gas crisis in the early 70s and odd even gas days with stations closed on Sundays. I'd drive a couple of hundred miles to see family on weekends and needed to have gas to get back home. I had a 5 gallon jerry can strapped in the back of my Vega GT wagon. I never felt safe as if I was ever in an accident, I would been burned up.