General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Cat on Elvis. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Cat on Elvis. Help!

Hi Folks, I have started having a cat come up under my carport and climb on top of Elvis at night. I come out in the morning to muddy cat prints on the hood, windshield, and top. I am sure it is scratching the paint as it goes too. I went to PetSmart and bought the Cat-Off spray used for furniture, and sprayed a microfiber towel that I put on the windshield each night, as well as spraying the carport posts and other surrounding areas. It doesn't seem to work. Short of calling the pound for a cat trap, does anyone have a suggestion? Anything that works foolproof? HELP! God Bless, Marc
Old 11-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Foolproof, TNT. lol I remember reading on this site someone had a motion sensor sprayer that sprayed the cat (and car) to get rid of them.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Cover the car with a sheet until it decides to lay elsewhere. Then put a bowl of food at your neighbor's porch.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Are you sure? Has anyone else tried this? Is seems like the sheet would just make a nicer bed for the cat, with something to claw into as it climbs up? Thanks for the suggestion. God Bless, Marc
Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
Are you sure? Has anyone else tried this? Is seems like the sheet would just make a nicer bed for the cat, with something to claw into as it climbs up? Thanks for the suggestion. God Bless, Marc
On the contrary. It would make it even slipperier (hey look Firefox thinks that is a word )

He would jump up onto the hood and lose his footing and most likely fall off. If he didn't then it would make the surface unstable and he even more unlikely to stay as every little movement would have him sliding around.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Slipperier, yeah it is a word! That's what I was thinking, maybe he'd slide around (don't secure the ends). At the very least it would protect from paw prints?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Problem: cat on the hood-- likes the heat, as all of our felines do.

Solution #1: do nothing. Cat is happy. You are not. Unacceptable.

Solution #2: put on a car cover. Cat is not going away-- unless you remove the heat source (see below). So at least keep her from scratching your paint. Cat is happy. You are somewhat better-- but out several bennies and 15 minutes a day.

Solution #3 spray Cat-Off. Doesn't really work, apparently, and not surprisingly. Cat is annoyed. You are too. Not really a solution.

Solution #4 never drive again. You remove the heat source. Cat moves on. You walk to work. Foolproof.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 PM

When I didn't have a gargage and had to use a carport many years back, I had quite a few cats (some my own) leaving footprints all over my car. Never hurt the paint or left any scratches either. I would just leave it alone and eventually the car will tire of your car and find another place to crash.

Fred
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

What is lousy is when a cold cat crawls up into warm engine bay, & falls asleep.
Next morning you start car & cat is........ahhhh, gone kinda.

I had a neighbor long ago use RED PEPPER & sprinkle it on the car where the cat goes.. He swears the cat Never came back..

Good luck with that Marc..
Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 PM

they will scratch the car. my parents have cats and they have gotten a couple scratches like this. It's not even the engine heat that they care about, sometimes they would be sleeping on top of the minivan that hadn't been driven in days. it's just a cat thing.

i don't think a sheet would help much either, a cat lose footing? Really? Cat's barely ever lose their footing, they're as nimble, as well, a cat... Plus if the sheet slides they will dig in and go through the sheet, most likely giving you scratches.

i don't really have a solution since like i said, this happens to my parents always, but i personally don't think the sheet would work.

Quick Reply: Cat on Elvis. Help!