General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Caution possible carbon monoxide poison problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 PM

Exclamation Caution possible carbon monoxide poison problems

This is my first post on this site and for that I am sorry. I own a 2007 HHR panel and just love it, it;s perfect for my job. I've put 20" wheels , kat back performance exhaust,etc, etc. From the time that I bought the car I have smelled exhaust fumes off and on and mostly when I pass some one. A week ago I was going to a job site when I passed a slow moving semi truck and it was all I could do to keep from passing out trying to get both windows rolled down to get fresh air back in the cab. I desided to have it looked at. I took a GM tech for a ride and he could smell it also. we went back to the dealer ship and removed the lower and side panels and went for another ride this time he rode in the back and the fumes was worse. The tech then did a smoke test on the right quarter panel and smoke pored out under the car. The dealer ship has had the car for a week to date and are still trying to fix the problem. I was at a different dealer ship today and test drove two HHR program cars and sorry to say that they both have the same problem as mine. I hate to say it but I believe that they all have this problem. The exhaust fumes blows around and back under the bumper and in to a "vent" somehow in the quarter panel ? To see if your also has this problem turn the a/c heater fan off roll the drivers door glass down 2 to 4"s try driving in all directions n,s,e,w, accelerate fast to speed limit , try passing bigger trucks etc. Sometimes its really strong and sometimes not so bad , but if you do smell exhaust fumes or feel tired or sleepy on longer drives please have your local GM tech check it out.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 PM

Has mine since July of 2006 and had never smelt anything or had any problems like this
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM

I dont know, I have an 07 for over a year now and never noticed any exhaust fumes in vehicle in any drivining situation. Drove over 500 miles last week in stop and go traffic and at highway speeds and never felt sick or sleepy, also if it was a big problem there would be a recall out by now going into 3rd model year, I know which vent your are talking about, and they are designed to let air out when interior pressure increases like when you close the door or tailgate, they are not designed to let air in. Maybe yours is defective or installed wrong. Hopefully your dealer can figure it out, being a tech myself I know how fustraturing it can be to work on a car for a week and not have any answers.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Can't say we've smelled anything in ours with a combined 60,000+ miles between them.

Okay, maybe an occasional poot here and there, but I blame that on the White Castles!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM

could be that the exhaust has a leak
Old 12-03-2007, 10:39 PM

I've had a few odors coming from my personal exhaust, not the HHR's
Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 PM

One thing to remember is that this problem only happens when the window is rolled down. I did drive a program hhr at another dealer and it to had this problem the dealer could even smell fumes after i parked it. At the time the dealer ship contacted GM tech line this was the first case reported.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Just to set the record straight.....

Carbon Monoxide is odorless.....you cannot smell it. Now, you may be smelling exhaust fume, that rotten egg odor from the cat, or something else.....but not carbon monoxide.

You should also know that poisonous/hazardous gas tests are done by manufacturers on all models as a mandate to safety by the Government.

Not saying YOU don't have a problem. But I wouldn't get hysterical and cry wolf. Vehicles can easily be tested at a dealer with a CO sensor in the vehicle, while operating under normal conditions. Why would they do a static smoke test??

Got me wondering

I will admit, when my HHR was new, I had the customary new car break in smell. It dissapated and went away shortly, however.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:39 PM

Noop no leaks exhaust is tight as a whistle.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 PM

The smell is from the kat converter and yes we know that it is odorless but if you smell that you have carbon monoxide . That said if somthing harmful that you can,t smell is there would you want your children riding in it. There is a lot of factors taking place and i sure mine is not the only one.

Quick Reply: Caution possible carbon monoxide poison problems