General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Caution possible carbon monoxide poison problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dentdude13
The smell is from the kat converter and yes we know that it is odorless but if you smell that you have carbon monoxide . That said if somthing harmful that you can,t smell is there would you want your children riding in it. There is a lot of factors taking place and i sure mine is not the only one.
If you smell the rotten egg smell from the converter it IS NOT an indication of carbon monoxide...... don't know where , or who, gave you that idea. 95% of the time it's from sulphur in the gas (which the cat is designed to partially remove), and an indication of a rich running engine. Sometimes this is caused by not adequately driving and warming an engine properly.

I know "old timers" with 10 year old Cadillacs that still have that smell....probably do to the way they drive. Oh, and they're still alive (although highly questionable) .

I think you are confusing the rotten egg smell in natural gas with your experience. In natural gas the smell is placed there to detect a gas leak easier. It is not the case with Cat converters.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 AM

I would venture to guess if this problem were as widespread as the original poster indicated, the US Dept Of Transportation would have info on the problem. Please see info I receive below via email every couple months or when things are added.

Also link to site is http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystation.asp

Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 AM

Murcaptan is what they put in natural gas and propane that gives it the smell, Now back to the exhaust problem In simple terms ,for those hot rod buffs that work on motors alot and and run them inside the shop with not very go ventilation also in the winter with the doors closed you get that bad exhaust fume smell make you gag cant breath, or just start your car put your nose in the tail pipe and breath, THAT is what is in side the car, that is what I smell.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:43 AM

i have noticed a weird smell with mine every now and then but havent thought into it. I think its just the engine burnin off new stuff. its just part of the breaking in period i think. I dont smell it anymore. also some of the fuel we have here has a different smell. and maybe the HHR has some weird exhaust set up i dunno
Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Same here, after 1600 miles no exhaust smell or anything except new car smell.

TomR
Old 12-04-2007, 10:30 AM
jx3

2+ years.....the only time I smell any "exaust" I look and see the A/C not set to recycled air and then switch it.
In seconds, all fumes gone.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 AM

Like everyone else here, no issues. Hope they figure yours out.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
2+ years.....the only time I smell any "exhaust" I look and see the A/C not set to recycled air and then switch it.
In seconds, all fumes gone.
Bingo!
You have nailed it. I can smell most cars exhaust in front of me, some are way worse than others. I put the air flow on recirulate and the air clears within seconds. I wish the default was recirculate and then I would never have any issue. I just made it a habit to push the button as soon as I start the car. I don't think this is an HHR issue, it is pretty common.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by TkHHR
I don't think this is an HHR issue, it is pretty common.
My wife's Infiniti is the same way.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:44 PM

Mine still smells from the pizza I bought last weekend. Boy, that upholstery sure hold smells. That may be why you continue to smell it after the car is turned off.

I've had my HHR 18 months and don't ever remember a smell.

Quick Reply: Caution possible carbon monoxide poison problems