General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Charging a dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Marzipan
The Owners Manual should tell you what to do when you have a dead battery.... at least the 2008 manual explains this. You really can't get better advice than the manufacturer's instructions.
I read the manual. It goes into detail about jump starting but gives no information on how to charge a dead battery.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM

car batteries

almost all are flooded batteries the more amperage they will vent more which breaking down the water and venting oxygen and hydrogen 4% hrdrogen is explosive, trickle charge is better for longer battery life in forklift batteries the chargeing room must be ventilated as 4% hyrdo you have a bomb.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:18 AM

Dead Battery

My Battery was very low on output yesterday, lights went on but it would not start, due to the high drain required for starting, charged it for 2 hours and it started, it has been sitting allot lately. Did not feel comfortable charging the battery in a closed vehicle, (I like Laco's suggestion) ran it for about 30 minutes once it started, but I think it may need to be replaced, even though it has low miles it is an early 06, hence the battery is over 3 years old. Will be having a load test performed.

Found these threads of interest -

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/battery-woes-7125/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/where-buy-battery-24034/

Originally Posted by Czechman
I read the manual. It goes into detail about jump starting but gives no information on how to charge a dead battery.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:25 AM

Thanks unique_w, that's good info and thanks also for the links.

I'm calling my service manager to see if it's okay to hook a charger up to the jump start terminals... one of the lovely things about cars with all this electrical stuff is that the hatch won't open with a dead battery. Since I don't drive mine much I'm investing in a "batter tender" and keep it on that while it's sitting.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Service Manager

Let us know what your Service Manager advises regarding charging from the jumper terminals under the hood ?

I'm calling my service manager to see if it's okay to hook a charger up to the jump start terminals...

Last edited by unique_w; 10-25-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:02 PM

Then the manufacturer implies that we simply jump start the vehicle then drive to charge it. If this caused any harm, GM would have one of those warning notices in the manual.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by unique_w
Let us know what your Service Manager advises regarding charging from the jumper terminals under the hood ?
Just spoke to three local Service Managers and all agree that the battery can be charged from the jump posts under the hood.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Marzipan
Then the manufacturer implies that we simply jump start the vehicle then drive to charge it. If this caused any harm, GM would have one of those warning notices in the manual.
This has already been covered but thank you for your contribution anyway.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 PM

Charging is not a problem. As I posted, I have charged mine several times using the jump connections under the hood, have never had a problem. The only thing I do differently, is, I do not use the strut as the ground, I put the negative clamp on the engine block. Thats also the way I would/will jump start it, if it becomes necessary.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
I do not use the strut as the ground, I put the negative clamp on the engine block.
Is there any logic behind not using the grounding stud? Seems odd to bypass something so clear and obvious in favor of something, anything else.

Quick Reply: Charging a dead battery