General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Close to buying an HHR

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Close to buying an HHR

Hi there,

I was recently told that as a graduation / 18th birthday present a car would be bought for me. The only specification is that it HAS to be GM. I happen to be a big fan of cars like the Scion, Soul, etc. so I was happy to find something similar in the HHR. This will be my 2nd car and will be a huge upgrade over my current piece of junk 1980's mercedes. I just wanted to see what everyone thought of their HHR's and if they would recommend them. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 PM

I think it is a great choice and we have recently been having a discussion of the Soul vs. the HHR - I personally see many similarities between the two. The HHR goes one step better in power and storage. The nice thing about the HHR is the fact that you can customize it nicely. Gas mileage is great @ 25-28 all around.

If you are buying used, you will be happy to know that you can get some nice deals on the HHR. While the resale value isn't fabulous (who knows why) - it plays to your advantage when buying used. One of our members has a 29k beautiful HHR for around $13,000, which is about $9,000 off of the new price.

Take a look at some of the posts and you'll see a happy family - and you'll get some good ideas.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Congratulations on graduating & Happy b-day!

Hi Repp!

Welcome from the OC! Where in CA are you from?
I have a black (Sirius Blackie) 07 2LT--no problems whatsoever.
Ask any questions--and we will be honest, albeit a bit biased as we LOVE our HHR's!

Good luck with your choice! But I would highly recommend a sunroof!

@ngelita
Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM

I have had 2 HHR's and love them. I have a 2006 2LT which was wonderful, but sold it to get an 09 SS. I love the SS!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by afs9
Hi Repp!

Welcome from the OC! Where in CA are you from?
I have a black (Sirius Blackie) 07 2LT--no problems whatsoever.
Ask any questions--and we will be honest, albeit a bit biased as we LOVE our HHR's!

Good luck with your choice! But I would highly recommend a sunroof!

@ngelita
Hi there! I'm down in San Diego!

here's one question that I have off of the top of my head, what are the differences between the different models LT, SS, etc.?

thanks for all of your help everyone!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ReppinMoose
Hi there! I'm down in San Diego!

here's one question that I have off of the top of my head, what are the differences between the different models LT, SS, etc.?

thanks for all of your help everyone!
Cool!
Then you DEFINITELY want a sunroof!

Basically, there are three engine types (lowest HP to highest):

2.2 (LS some 1LT's)
2.4 (2LT or an option for 1LT)
2.0 (SS)

2.2 & 2.4 were the first models & paved the way for the SS's (super sports) to come into being.

Other then the SS having a different front end (to accommodate the engine), it is similar in body design. So it really comes down to engine size, cost, how much HP you want, and options. Of course, then there are the regular ones, half panels (AA5) and the 2 seater panels, to choose from...The other problem will be what color you want!

I'm sure the SS folk will chime in as they know more of the technical things (and will correct me on everything SS! ). I just know I've wanted this car from the first time I saw it 2005 & finally got it for my b-day in 2007.

good luck!

@
(let us know what you decide as we are an active group of HHR enthusiasts in SoCal and always get together).
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 31
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! As Angie pointed out, the LS is the entry level HHR with the 2.2 L engine. A step up is the 1LT that offers more features. The 2LT offers even for more features and comes standard with the 2.4 L engine. Opt for the SS and you get the 2.0 L Turbo. This vehicles is great for carrying around people and stuff and still looks cool. Let us know if you end up getting one
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM

I'll tell you why I'm buying an HHR. they are being KILLED in the used market thanks to all the fleet's they are coming off of...

meaning i get a great looking, modern car, that handles nearly as nicely as a toyota and is only a couple of years old for... oh, ABOUT 10,000!!!! :) works for me!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:32 PM

Yeah, used values are at lows right now, so there are GREAT deals on them! I just bough my '06 1LT in February for $10,800 with 33k miles. Not too bad considering the options it has!

I will add though, that the 2.2L engine (which I have) is a little less responsive than the 2.4, but it still does what it needs to. I think either engine is fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 2.2 get slightly better mileage? If it does, it's probably only one or two mpg.

But since you're in SoCal...you'll NEED a sunroof. Actually, everyone needs one of those!!

(Oh, and if you're getting a used one, get Sunburst Orange Metallic!!!)
Old 05-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Right now go and drive an HHR SS or Cobalt SS.

Both are great steals. The prices on new ones are cheap and the performance is more than you will get with with any other car at that price.

Also a V6 Camaro RS is a good buy. But mark ups will hurt till supplies build.

Check your insurance before you buy anything as this could be a deal breaker on any performance model at your age. V8's and turbos can get out of reach on insurance prices.

Still drive an HHR SS as it is not your regular HHR and it is something the Soul and Scion can touch performance wise.

Quick Reply: Close to buying an HHR