General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Close to buying an HHR

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Check your insurance before you buy anything as this could be a deal breaker on any performance model at your age. V8's and turbos can get out of reach on insurance prices.

Yes, if you're going to be paying your insurance, CHECK FIRST!! I wouldn't be driving an HHR right now if I had my way..... But, I'm not about to pay $3000 a year just for a Mustang convertible! The insurance per month was the same as the car payment!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:10 PM

Cool Being an SS owner,

and a recent Kia Sport buyer, there is no comparison between the two.
Being a new HS Grad. I don't think your folks would want you in an SS because of the insurance.
I do like the boom box in the Kia more than the one in the SS, even though it is the upgrade. Eight speakers vs seven, including sub-woofer. I use a USB Flash drive in both, and the Kia lets you scroll through your play-list and select, while the SS is a blind search.
The SS has the umph and go factor. Both vehicles are 5-speed stick. The SS has a 2.0 liter turbo 260 HP before the Stage 1 kit while the Kia 2.0 liter does not have a turbo and only puts out 142 HP.
Both vehicles get about the same gas mileage, 29-30, depending how you drive.
The Kia has lots of glass, the HHR is a rolling cave (I have a half-panel), you got to keep your head on a swivel.
The Kia has a center console, the SS or any HHR does not. The LT and LS & SS auto. come with center arm rests, the SS that I have has none.
Both the Kia Soul and the Chevy HHR are unique looking vehicles and are fun to drive.
Being in the Antelope Valley, I preferred to not have the sun roof in my SS. I was worried about head room and maintenance after reading issues in this forum. The only Soul Sport with the 5-speed I could find had the sun roof. Headroom in this vehicle is no issue.
You can purchase a brand new Kia Soul + or ! (loaded) for about the same price as a used HHR SS with not all options.
I got mail telling me about a giant sale going on this weekend at all the dealerships here in Lancaster & Palmdale.
To everyone each has his/her own values and likes/dislikes. I like my SS for what it is, a hot rod. I like my Kia Soul for what it is, a good daily driver.
It's a shame your folks limited you to just GM.
The HHR is a bit bigger length wise and wheel base and cargo space.
The Kia Soul has traction and stability control included.
The Soul Sport and the HHR SS come with 18" wheels.
Okay, nuff said here. Enjoy whatever you get for graduation.

Last edited by pappa_smurf; 05-22-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 PM

hhr's are wonderful. im happy with my 06 spring edition. the interiors are pretty cheap and might crack and peel after 2yrs or so. but other than intirior the car is bullet proof. if u were payin id say go used since a used 08 ss that cost $25g a year ago is now worth $12g trade in. but overall great car and a great car club to be apart of here at .net.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
The LT and LS come with center arm rests, the SS has none.
My 2008 SS is an automatic, and is equipped with TWO arm rests.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/2008-hhr-ss-exterior-interior-transmission-option-photos-13295/

Enjoy whatever you get for graduation.
My brother first bought his brand new 2006 HHR LT2, and managed to convince me to buy the 2008 HHR SS I have now.

The SS is a sleeping beast. But kick it in the butt, and you're gone bye
Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 PM

[quote=pappa_smurf;384654]and a recent Kia Sport buyer, there is no comparison between the two.
quote]

Nice analysis I'm sure he appreciates your sharing of your experience.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyM84
hhr's are wonderful. im happy with my 06 spring edition. the interiors are pretty cheap and might crack and peel after 2yrs or so. but other than intirior the car is bullet proof. if u were payin id say go used since a used 08 ss that cost $25g a year ago is now worth $12g trade in. but overall great car and a great car club to be apart of here at .net.

If your going buy a used SS the going rate is and average of around $17K less miles more more mile lower the price. New SS can be had in the 20-21K range if you shop smart and depending on rebate offers. Do not pay more or you are getting ripped off. I have seen Cobalt SS for 18K new.

But that is not a reflection the HHR as any used car now is pretty cheap. I see year old V6 Mustangs for 11K with low miles as well as many other cars are pretty cheap since nothing is selling.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Get the Panel!!!! Way too cool!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 PM

@papa smurf.

Using my ipod in the usb is not a blind search. I use the stearing wheel to scroll through and hold the up arrow to select and holding the down arrow goes back. I don't randomly pick songs; I pick the song, artist, or album I want. If you are not able to pick your music then you are notdoing something right.

@OP

I would recommend going to the Chevy website and building an hhr w/ the build and price tool. Will def. help you figure out what options are out there. Obviously this will be some options that are only on the '09 ones but will still help w/ the basics. When I bought mine I 1st went to 2 dealerships and knew more of the options then both salesman. I ended up getting the SS, mainly due to getting the GMS discount and do not regret one bit my purchase. The only thing better would have been a Camaro SS. But living in WI and needing a daily driver, a rearwheel drive unfortunatly was out.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by okie.inspector
Get the Panel!!!! Way too cool!
Ya get an '09 panel ss! Only year for it as it is being discontinued for the '10 model year and was not around in '08. If I did not need the back seat I would have looked into one.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:55 AM

I use the USB port in both, and the Kia lets you scroll through your play-list and select, while the SS is a blind search.
Not true. You can scroll through your iPod with the USB equipped radios in the '09 models.

the HHR is a rolling cave, you got to keep your head on a swivel.
This may be true on the full panel but not so on others. I have the half-panel and visibility is more than adequate.

I like my SS for what it is, a hot rod. I like my Kia Soul for what it is, a good daily driver.
I like my V8 Dodge Dakota for what it is, a V8 parts hauler, but I love my HHR 2LT as a daily driver. I wouldn't prefer an SS for a daily driver, but that has more to do with my street racing tendencies than anything else. I'd either lose my license or wind up killing myself if I drove a performance car every day.

If you decide to buy new, go through carsdirect.com. They will put you in touch with a volume dealer in your area who's in business for one thing... to move units. Bargain hard and you can get 18-20% off sticker. There is nothing inherently "wrong" with GM vehicles, it's all about perception.

Used is your best bargain, no doubt.

Quick Reply: Close to buying an HHR