General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Cloth Interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:14 AM

I have used hot soapy water to remove any small stains I get on the seat. I use a little bit of Dawn dish detergent and very hot water. Take a clean wash cloth (preferably white) and use some elbow grease and clean the entire seat bottom (or top if be the case). Leave the windows down to let it dry and the stain should be gone. Has worked the couple times I've had spots on mine.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by HHRBruce
I am having a problem cleaning the seats. I have the tan cloth. Even when I clean with water it gets the spot out but leaves a water ring line in the seat. Is there a product or technique that can be done that will not leave a water marks or should I get it professionally done?
Here's how I do it:

Grab a spray bottle of 409 and spray the stain, then "fan out" the spray lightly to all seat edges surrouding the stain. Gently rub the stain out, turning the rag to a clean section frequently to prevent smearing the stain. Once the stain is out, gently buff all the 409 off the seat surface all the way to the edges. (Wetting to the edges prevents leaving those "ring" marks.). Once it dries your seat should be clean and stain free!

I have cleaned both my HHR's front seats this way several times and no stains are visible.

Best of luck!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM

I just asked my dealers interior/upholstry guy about my seats (cloth) they stain with water - seriously. (Light grey)
He said it's crappy fabric, that getting it wet must release some chemical that creates the "ring" or stain.
He told me to try Glass Cleaner - good high quality aerosol kind, recommended GM brand but I work for Ecolab and I'll try theirs (it's good) - and to do the ENTIRE section, not just the spot.

It may not get everything out, but it's what he's found to work the best... Said the next step would be replacing the cloth...
Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM

Using distilled water helps; tap water, even regular bottled water, has chemicals and/or minerals in it that stay behind in fabric. Distilled is as close to pure H20 as you're going to get, so it won't leave behind minerals and so on. I've taken care of a couple (admittedly very minor) spots with distilled water, and they've dried invisble. But then, too, I'm not talking about spilling coffee or soda or oil based exterior enamel on my seats, either...to date no food or drink has been consumed inside that car! (Eight months and counting!) Good luck.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 PM

Mine is a service car and I work on copiers so you can imagine that my hands are not always clean. I need to attack some more spots now but I have had good luck with Oxi-Clean laundry stain remover. It says to spraty it, scrub it and let a damp cloth soak up the stain but I have had good luck with just a scrub, rinse, and dry. My car has the camel tan cloth interior. It has worked well with the floor mats also except that I follow up with a car-wash pressure wash of them and hang them dry after getting as much water out as possible with wet-dry vac.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Believe it or not, Amway's L.O.C. cleans stains. I spilled coffed on the cloth side of the leather HHR seats (by the cup holders) and L.O.C. cleaned it perfectly. (NO! I am NOT an Amway distributor!!!!!!) I have used it for years to clean upholstry, carpet, clothes, and floors.

http://www.amway.com/en/HomeCare/loc-10242.aspx

Regarding Scotch Guard. The fabric that Chevy uses for the HHR absorbs Scotch Guard. You will have to put a LOT of it on.

An alternative is DuPont Teflon APII fabric protector. Here is an article about it and how to apply it:

http://www.dupont.com/asiapacific/co...0Equipment.pdf

This stuff works....BUT...READ the information above about applying it. It's not for that faint-at-heart for applying. But like I said, it REALLY works. I watched a person spray it on WHITE upolstry. They let it dry and then they poured steaming hot coffee on it. NOTHING. It just ran off the upholstry. But also know...it will be slippery!! It's Teflon!!!

Another product is - 303 High Tech Fabric Guard - ; it was originally developed to protect Marine Canvas but has turned out to protect a lot more, including upholstry. Check it out at:

http://www.myboatstore.com/fabricgua...FReQGgodHRaW2g

I have a friend that put it on his home upholstry and he says it really works. (He has a rather large dog that thinks its a person, and jumps up on his WHITE sofa!) The 303 has kept it clean.

And of course the other thing you can do is just buy some nice seat covers. You can get custom made ones that will fit as snug as a bug in a rug.

Good Luck!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 PM

I've always used a product from Car Brite called xtra duty and it has always done a very good job. My wife got chocolate from a McDonalds sundae on my headliner and it took it right off. I use it to clean everything that is fabric.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, this is really reviving an old thread. Almost 2 years old.

MWG2....

You're correct about the 303 High Tech Fabric Spray. I used it for all my boat materials (sails, sail covers, upholstery, bimini, wind screens) except the ultra suede and leather. It really does work well to prevent stains and to water repell. I was hesitant to suggest it originally, because it was difficult to find at times. Mostly just in marine/boating supply stores.

I still use it once a year on the large sun umbrellas for the yard.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:09 AM

Oxy Clean has an upholstery cleaner that works great. I use it all the time. I wet a sponge then spray the cleaner on it and wipe the stain. That seems to eliminate water rings or spray marks on the seats.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:06 AM

I have gray int. in my 07. I use kids and pets stain remover. Not sure how it would work on tan cloth. I saturate the area and leave dry. Then come back with a wet cloth ans rub the area til wet again then blot with clean dry cloth. Then let dry. It never failed me yet. It can be purchased at Wal-Mart. Scotchguard doesn't seem to work very well on my gray int. Either.

Quick Reply: Cloth Interior