General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Coat or clothing hooks

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 PM

Question Coat or clothing hooks

If my luck follows the usual pattern, the minute I ask this question I'll find half a dozen threads related to it, but what the h***

Has anyone found a way to improve the miserable, stingy little clothes hooks in the HHR?

My job requires me to carry a fair amount of clothing (uniforms or changes of clothes). At a minimum in winter time, I am carrying three coats in addition to the one I'm wearing, and often a couple of pairs of shirts and pants.

The coat hooks in the HHR hold two hangers each, maximum. And that's assuming you're carrying thin garments like shirts. Two pairs of pants on hangers? Forget it. A garment bag plus another hanger? No way.

My '99 Suburban had sturdy enough grab handles that I was able to use one of the clothing bar accessories that you see everywhere. I think these are too thick even to stay on the HHR's hooks, and I'm worried about the strength of the hooks themselves.

Thought I had a solution a couple of weeks ago, by stretching a bungee cord between the hooks and hanging the clothes from that, like a clothes line. That worked until the first time I hit a dip in the road, at which time the bungee twanged, and everything came unhooked.

I'm at a loss for a solution. Thought about something like a shower rod, wedged between the side windows in the rear compartment, but the windows have enough slant that it won't quite wedge nicely. Thought about one of those pickup truck load retainer bars, but I'm a little wary of the amount of force they'd apply to the window.

Somehow, I think there is a solution out there, and it probably involves PVC pipe. But before I go reinventing the wheel, I thought I'd ask.

Any ideas/experiences at all?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 PM

I'm have no knowledge of this, but don't they make one that almost like suctions to the side windows? Then it's a bar that goes across... Not sure, but I thought I've seen something like that before.

Again, I'm no expert, and really have no idea. But something like that comes to mind...

Then again, maybe I just invented a product!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM

OK I am not able to get to my car right now but, how about a dowel rod say one inch or more with screw eyes in both ends that fit onto the factory hooks.

Just an idea, it should be cheap and easy to make.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 PM

I believe..... JC Whitney has in its massive array of parts a gadget of which you may be inquiring about....it attaches between the 2 clothes hooks to make a solid bar to hang lotsa hangered stuff from........................
http://www.autoworldaccessories.com/...tegory_id=1107 Heres another one
http://www.topoftheline-travel.com/a...-portable.html
Google clothes hangers for autos..........
Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

or just grab an adjustable shower curtain rod. Remove end caps & expand it across & over the hooks..

I don't know, just thinking out loud..
Old 01-22-2010, 07:09 AM

I don't trust the factory hooks to hold the extra load of a clothing bar. They are available everywhere, and I had on in the Suburban that I wrecked last fall. From what I see, the attachment metal on those is too big to stay in the stock HHR hooks.

I have one of those truck cargo bars, somewhere. But I think before I resort to that I will try a shower curtain rod, which has less spring pressure. We used one of those in the shower of our travel trailer to accomodat wet rain gear.

Just wondering whether anyone here had invented something a little better. There seem to be a lot of people here with terrific ingenuity.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:56 PM

I bought one of those clothes bars @ Auto Zone, I actually had to take it apart and saw about 3 inches off of it to get it to fit between the hangars, and it's wedged in there very firmly - hard to get out, so I don't remove it.

I work on the road for 8-10 days at time, so I usually have about 10-11 days worth of clothes hanging on that rack, plus a jacket or two...2 years, 66,000 miles later all over the Southeast, the rod is still there, no problems...UNLESS someone wants to ride in the back seat - headroom is limited.

Oh, and you can pretty much forget about seeing out the back window, too.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 AM

I thought perhaps the standard length of those bars might be too long for the HHR. Friend of mine, a tuba player who works for a Chevy dealership, considered the HHR and said he thought the interior was "awfully small by current standards."

The rear window visibility on the HHR is nothing to write home about anyway, what with the head rests on the front seats. I keep my rears folded down for room.

By now you might be wondering why I even asked the original question:

My job is with Maryland's National Guard Honor Guard, where I am one of only a few buglers who play Taps at funerals. An average week has me driving 500 miles, and compared to the 3/4 ton 'Burb the HHR's fuel economy is a real blessing. But the job requires me to carry a dress uniform jacket (you do NOT sit while wearing one of those!), plus a rain coat and winter top coat. On laundry pickup days that might be supplemented by half a dozen shirts and a spare uniform jacket and trousers. On top of that, add two uniform caps, a satchel of shoe and clothing care stuff, the bugle itself, and a "beater" trumpet I keep in the car so I can get in some practice time during the waits between services. Most days I work at a state veterans' cemetery, where we might bury as many as six vets. So for the intervals, I carry some reading material, snacks, and a 12 volt heating pad to ease the neck pain from the wreck I survived back in October.

The HHR gets a workout, and I have driven it more than 4,000 miles since November 12.

For those who might be curious, I participated in 286 funerals last year. In addition there were a few memorial services, an probably at least another two dozen funerals that I witnessed (where a bugler from some other branch of service played).

The Suburban provided a bit more in the way of creature comforts, but there's no way I could have justified another one.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 PM

Why not just put it all in garment bags and lay them flat with the back seats down. Then figure out how to keep them from sliding all over the place. :)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 PM

Possible Solution

There are (IMO) 2 logical places to add reinforced clothing hooks. Which you prefer may depend on which model HHR you have and/or personal taste. I assume you have a non-Panel HHR, though your passenger needs may not bias one method over the other.

The attached diagram shows the coat hook(2). While the hook itself is doesn't appear too sturdy, the attachment screw(1) is more so. You might consider removing the coat-hook and using the screw to attach a d-ring that can support the weight of a clothing bar might work for you. Note that this screw is only torques to 80 in lb. Aside from the torque the drawback is that the bar will be centered on the door opening.

On the b-pillar just rear and a little lower than the coat-hook is the attachment point for the upper seatbelt retainer. The bolt holding that upper retainer has a torque of 32 ft lbs. and is centered over the seat back, which will make it a little stronger for the weight of everything you need to carry.

As suggested by others the small size of the HHR compared to a full size car means you may need to shorten any clothing bar you find. Ace Hardware offers a Custom Accessories Adjustable Clothes Bar (56663) and Amazon.com offers a Highland 9142200 Clothes Hanger Bar for under $15 either of which should do the trick. For d-rings you should be able to find the type with rolled-over attachment tab for cheap at either a hardware store or your local leather store. These are usually available in stainless steel.

With a little care either of these methods would solve your problem and look like a hack job in your otherwise nice car.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Coat or clothing hooks