General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Concerned about All Problems on Internet

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM

Concerned about All Problems on Internet

I just bought my HHR LS a few days ago used from a Subaru dealer. Now that I have done more internet research, and seen so many brake problems, broken interior door handles, stuck in ignition key problems, etc. I am concerned that I made a big mistake. So far the car works fine, is like new, and has only 16K miles on it. I like the way it looks, the comfort and driveability, and the reasonable price.

Is it possible that the complaints represent only a very small percentage of all HHRS purchased. And that therefore I have little need to be concerned about my HHR's reliability?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM

I'll answer to your concerns.

Brakes are fine if you keep the rears adjusted properly. I have 74k on the original brakes and no vibration whatsoever.

Door handles... Don't use the handle to close the door. Use the hole in the armrest. Just be gentle and they will last

The stuck key is a known issue. Most dealers will fix it for ya. There has been a recall issued for it as well.

They are good cars. If you take car of those small things and just keep up on regular maintanence they will last many miles.

The most common issue that seems to come up is the clunking in the front suspension. Usually seems to be sway bar links but can be other things as well.

Don't be afraid of the car. Mine has been the most reliable car I have owned. Just drive and enjoy.

And if you do run into any problems there are plenty of people here that can point you in the right direction on how to fix.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM

When people have a problem or are unhappy with their vehicle, they complain on the site. When people don't have any problems or are satisfied with vehicle, do they post compliments/raves? Not usually... I for one have 174,000 miles on my HHR with very little money stuck into it, and it's still runs great. I am very satisfied with my HHR, and I think you will find that is the case for most people on this forum.

BTW- Welcome to the site!!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

It's not just HHR's that have certain problems. All makes and models have their own specific issues. No car is perfect and problem free.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

It's so bad, I bought two of them.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 PM

My 97 maxima went through 4 starters and a flywheel. And my Altima had an ac system that no one on this planet could get working. So I'll take a couple sway bar bushings.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Rest In Peace

Why on earth would you buy a car without FIRST doing the research, asking these questions, and THEN decide to buy it or not? Next time you go to buy a car, do the Research FIRST.

I was here 2 or so Months, BEFORE I went and bought my Black HHR Panel.

There are always complainers on car sites, Any car site. They ALL have their faults.

As was said the Complainers in life Rush to fault a car as soon as they have a problem, but most never bother to find a forum for their car Until they have an issue.

Most owners never go on car forums.

Bought my 2008 2LT with 19,000 on it and in the little over 2 years I have had it, no problems.

Yes many complain about warped brake disks, a recut or buy another set Solves that.

If mine developes that issue, i'll buy a pair of front disks and pads replace them and be done, takes about an hour with basic tools.

Complainers will whine on and on about them, Yes GM could have put thicker disks on to help avoid the warp issue some have had, but they are easy and cheap to replace, fix it or have it done under warranty and move on with Life.

I have the power door lock switch light out on my drivers door, it was like that when I bought it, don't bother me enough yet to get a new switch, it works just the light in it is out, one day i'll order one up, but i'm not gonna sit here on a forum b*tchin about it. Sh*t Happens.

A few have broken a door handle off, yes they are Plastic, but what isn't on cars these days? So take note and use yours with Care.

Me, I picked up a few used ones as Spares. Haven't needed them, but I got 4 extras just in case.

One guy has broken several and still insists it's not him or anyone else yankin on them, but they keep breakin for some odd reason.

95% will Never have one break.

If one of mine were to break off, i'd replace it, not a big deal.

Stuck key GM has extended many HHR owners warranty on that issue so it's covered, yeah a PITA if it happens to you, but it is fixable.

My Parents Jaguar's (Pre Ford owned) when I was growing up had some Horrid electricals and many other Costly issues, but my Mother Loved them so my Father kept buying her them. Before the Jags we had Cadillacs. They were much less maintenance than those Jags ever were.

Last edited by American & Proud; 09-18-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 PM

I have had two of them, there are issues with any mass produced car. Brakes, a cheap door handle, or little things like that even the clunk in the front are all small, the motors and trannys go forever, the car doesnt rust to bits in 2 years, and it gets good milage. They are an awesome little economy car that works for almost every situation where a truck isnt needed.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Premium Member

And they look like grandpas 49 carry all !!! But I'm a fan, dont take my word for it .
Attached Images    
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
It's so bad, I bought two of them.

Quick Reply: Concerned about All Problems on Internet