General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Confessions of a PT Cruiser owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 AM

Confessions of a PT Cruiser owner

That's right...I own a PT Loser in addition to my HHR Panel. We bought the PT new in 06 and I really wish I had sone some shopping around before I bought it. Don't get me wrong, it has it's good points, but I fell out of love with it pretty quickly after buying it. It handles nice...it feels smaller and sportier than my HHR. My HHR rides so much better, though. Gas mileage SUCKS on the PT. We're lucky to get 23 or 24 MPG, even on the highway. I've been getting at least 28 MPG in my HHR.

The LS model HHR is much more nicely equipped than the base model PT. The PT doesn't even have power mirrors!

Oh well...just my observations. I really like my 08 HHR Panel, and my wife is mad 'cause she's stuck with the PT! LOL!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 AM

My neighbor has a PT and wondered why they don't offer a panel version. He is thinking about getting a HHR after seeing mine.And he drives his wife's Honda more than he used to!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:41 AM

WellArmed - Up until a month ago, wife and I owned an 06 PT Limited turbo w/woody trim package. We were dissatisfied with it after buying it also. I never felt comfortable in it. Always felt like the rear end was up higher than the front end, making me lean forward all the time. When I was ready to replace my Ford Ranger in 07, I shopped around and fell in love the the HHR. We parked the PT and drove the HHR constantly. She finally traded the PT in on an 08 Malibu LTZ. Now I have my HHR ALL TO MYSELF!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 AM

I was always amazed that the PT got such crappy gas mileage. It seems that most of the Chysler/Dodge products are on the low end for MPG.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 PM

My neighbor owns a PT. She came by this evening and asked if she could drive Car 11. We went out for about 20 minutes. She now wants to trash the PT and buy a HHR 2LT. The HHR sold itself.

I love my HHR.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM

I had a 2001 PT Cruiser that I traded on a 2008 HHR. I loved the Cruiser when it first came out. After 7 1/2 years, I was ready for something different. The HHR handles so much better and the fuel mileage is substantially better in the HHR.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:06 PM

One thing that didn't help me love the PT was the problems early on that had us take it back to the shop several times. Something in the air bag system kept failing causing the light to come on, and the gas cap was defective causing the check engine light to come on. Both problems have been fixed under warranty, but the 40 mile trips to the dealership left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 AM

I owned an 'o2 PT and it was totalled in a car wreck in '06. Best thing that ever happened to it. I bought an '06 HHR 2LT and there was no comparison. The PT Loser is an exact description. A pile of junk to me. Now I've traded in the '06 HHR for an HHR SS...just another great upgrade.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 AM

A few years ago we almost bought a PT. It had some issue with the steering rack, it would pull real hard to the left on acceleration from a stop. The dealer (it was a VW dealer that I will never go to again, long story) said the car was fine and it needed a front end alignment. We walked away from it. We REALLY wanted that car. It was loaded. We got a Cadillac instead. We had once rented a PT while visting San Diego. It was OK but very disapoiting on the freeway. It struggled to get up to 70.

Last year we rented an HHR in Fresno and used it in Yosemite NP. It was an LS with a 2.2. Even as a fairly "stripped" down rental, it was way better than the PT we almost bought. No trouble on the freeay and it rode nice for a small car. My wife hated the look of the HHR, until she drove it. Now she loves it and is glad we never got the PT.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Familiar stories...I too originally was going to buy a PT. Took one for a test drive from one of the local dealerships to another of the same dealership but closer to home (25 miles). Liked the ride and all but was concerned about the MPG considering that it is a Chrysler product, but still better than my Ram 1500 with the 5.9L Made the deal on that Tuesday to pick it up on the next day after they got it cleaned, inspected etc. etc. Got to the dealer the next morning and lo and behold there sits an 08 LS that was not there the day before! (came in on a dealer trade about an hour after I left!) Told the salesperson to tear up the contract for the PT and write up the HHR ! SO happy I waited that extra day!!!!

Quick Reply: Confessions of a PT Cruiser owner