General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Considering an HHR

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Considering an HHR

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum. I joined for the first purpose of asking the below question and this seemed like the prime place to ask after browsing a number of posts.

I am currently considering an 06 2LT and wanted to simply post a question to inquire on anything I should be on the look out for when I go later this week to test drive the car. I have stopped at the dealer after hours to get a quick look and it seems VERY clean. Just wondering what to look for / watch out for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM

i test drove my 1st one and instantly fell madly in love with the hhr. i have back problems and it is easy for me to get in and out of so that was a big plus. there is lots of room insided the car. i have owned 2 hhr's, an 07 lt1 and currently own a 08 lt2
Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM

06 was the first year for the hhr and there were issues corrected later on 07 and later models. That could include stuck ignition and water leaks.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:26 PM

$5

spend $5 take it thru a car wash...then see if the floor board is wet...it should not be hard to fix if it is , but you should be able to get it cheaper....drive it till it gets good and hot , and on the highway....if i have doubts , i keep looking....my biggest regret is only that i didn't get a ss...what see people say the most is they want to add some option to their car...i know that sometimes it is hard to find a good deal with all the options you want....i also know that i have walked away from many good deals but i am still satisfied because i waited for a better 1.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM

I love my HHR and slave over it. However one problem is becoming a deal breaker. Drive and listen for front suspension and/or steering column noise. It drives me crazy. The dealer has had it 5 times in its 21,000 mile life so far, replaced various parts and every four months, some form of rattle or clunk comes back. By comparison, my 2001 Taurus is 100% rattle free and has never been repaired.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 AM

Thumbs up Have a '06 Spring Edition, still happy w/it

It's "Her Hot Rod" and is approaching 40K miles and has given esentially no problems at all. Are there things to nit-pick, sure. But I am glad we got it, it's been great. I rented an '08 last year and it did feel "tighter" in a number of ways than ours on the long trip we took (3K miles), and had some other minor changes that didn't make any difference. Look for one of the Special Editions or an SS.

Happy Hunting!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 AM

I just bought an '09 and couldn't be happier. If you are tall, check to see if your left shoulder rubs on the B pillar. I am 6'2" tall, and this is the one fault that I have, and iI find this wart to be easily tolerated. Beyond that, I'm knocking on the door to 33 mpg on my second tank of gas, and I'm happier than a clam.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM

yes, great car...i have a spring edition and i love it.... its had minor problems like dash is peeling and the int. trim is scratched up. My steering colum rattles and if i let it sit for 2 or 3 days it has trouble starting(it always starts up). Other than those issues its been great car
Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 AM

Talking Got one and love it

Thanks so much everyone for all you insight and advice. I ended up with the 06 I first noted I was considering.

Its the 2LT, pretty much loaded to the gills for an 06 near as I can tell.
Its super tight, super clean, has a shade over 40K on the clock and I got one hell of a deal (based on KBB) - oh, it also has a clean carfax.

I love the chrome on black setup myself! And my daughter loves the sunroof (she's only 2 but she love me opening it so she can look out from the backseat.

I spoke with the previous owner and they loved it, just needed to trade up to something bigger.

I don't have a single complaint about it except for one. I'm 6'3" and in PA the lights are fairly high over the intersections and the stopping points (weight sensors, etc) are fairly close. As such I sometimes find myself either having to lean forward or backwards too see the light (either to see thru the windshield or the sunroof), but I can live with this no problems.

Thanks again for all the input and I'm sure I'll be posting again soon on something else!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:41 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by JTKrupa
Thanks so much everyone for all you insight and advice. I ended up with the 06 I first noted I was considering.

I don't have a single complaint about it except for one. I'm 6'3" and in PA the lights are fairly high over the intersections and the stopping points (weight sensors, etc) are fairly close. As such I sometimes find myself either having to lean forward or backwards too see the light (either to see thru the windshield or the sunroof), but I can live with this no problems.
Congrats on your purchase!

Here's something that will help w/ those traffic lights............

TRAFFIC LIGHT PRISM