General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Cost savings

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Cost savings

I was just ruminating on the "SS bashing" thread about how the 2LT optional heated leather seats are not available in the SS trim. Additional thoughts were that heated and/or signal mirrors and lights for the vanity mirrors are absent on the HHR to save cost. This is even though upgraded side mirrors are available as aftermarket kits from the same vendor that makes such mirrors as OEM equipment for other GM models.

I think a critical difference is whether something is standard, optional, or unavailable. Sunroof and heated leather seats are significant-cost options, but some people opt for both (me included). Not having something offered as an extra-cost option is what has me perplexed.

Additional thoughts are about what things were saved in cost by cutting corners. There is the whole issue of poor interior lighting and unusual central window controls from 2006-08 which was fixed by having three dome lights and the window controls moved to the doors starting in 2009. There were safety issues: side airbags were optional since the beginning in 2006, but not made standard until 2009. Similar story with antilock brakes.

In the basic design, I noticed a couple of things to save money as well. There is no outside door lock on the passenger side, only on the driver's side. With standard remote keyless entry, I don't miss it, but it does save a few dollars. Also, the "leather seating surfaces" in my 2LT have non-leather on lower side panel areas where I have seen leather present in other vehicles.

I can understand why keeping things off the standard list for various trim levels saves money. However, some cars (girlfriend's BMW Z4 for example) deliberately have a low base price and a cornucopia of options. The price can more than double by the time you purchase one that's fully outfitted. What is stopping GM from offering more ADDITIONAL COST options, on which they could profit, to willing customers?

Last edited by Doctuh; 05-29-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 PM

My car has all the options available and the the sticker is 25,000 dollars plus. I have seen MSRP on the SS models in the 28,000 range. Now my final price was 19,350 with rebates ,dickering, leaving for a day ect ect.... The point being that this is a nice Car but at 25,000 it would be an easy pass for me at least... A fully loaded SS would easily top 30 grand and while many here would pay it. Many others would not. Keeping materials available for every car cost dollars at the factory whether they sell or not.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

This is a really good assessment and uses acceptable logic.

Based on my experience and exposure to this topic, GM for the most part, conducts consumer clinics, asking potential and possible future customers if a particular option would be an acceptable option and at what price. GM also uses existing options and surveys the quantity of customers who order a particular option. Sometimes the results of this activity yields the results we, some of the HHR crowd, gain or are deprived of. Sometimes the options are "lumped" together.....as a simple example, the cargo net that was available to the early HHR owners (2LT). It was lumped into the 2 LT package, if I remember correctly. Some used it, some have deposited it to a garage shelf or tucked it away in a storage compartment (I'm one of these). The net was later discontinued.....but available through a dealer parts department. I believe the "better" carpeted floor mats was also part of this package (which, IMO, are not very good and I purchased aftermarket fitted "dish" type mats).

In any event, the signal mirrors I specifically inquired about and was told, "the potential owner was essentially indifferent in this area".....and they were eliminated (even though some in the engineering community had a belief that they were a good safety feature).

Ultimately, they are cost saving measures to introduce a vehicle/model to a given demographic. But sometimes it is also just to provide a vehicle at a predetermined cost range.

What you are relating to, was the old car manufacturer. When you could order a vehicle with a long list of options (I purchased vehicles with 2 pages of options on the MSRP sticker, for example). You more or less could personalize a vehicle. That method, obviously, is no longer available, unfortunately.

It all comes down to money and the quantity of product for production.