General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Damn tree limb

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 PM

Angry Damn tree limb

My HHR was not even 2 weeks old and had just 223 miles on it when, on Mother's Day, at 7:45AM a HUGE tree limb fell on it. My heart sunk when I looked out and saw that it was buried under the leaves and branches of the Norwegian Maple limb. I immediately went out and started to carefully remove the branches that engulfed the HHR. Slowly, carefully I chopped and hauled the branches away. So far, so good I thought as I worked my way from back to front. Oh no! A dent in the left rear pillar, damn. Oh crap, the nose is also dented in 3 places and there is a scratch on the right quarter panel.

After calling the insurance company I was told to take it anywhere I wanted and get an estimate that they would cover it in full since the car is brand new. First estimate is $1445 and the second one was just over $2100. The adjuster shows up and writes up his own estimate for just $1320 and I ask why the lesser of my estimates is ignored and the adjuster says it is just a formality and the insurance company will cover the repair bill, no matter the cost, less my $500 deductible. I make an appointment for the shop with the lesser estimate (they are repairing the hood rather than replacing it which is what I wanted). It will take 4 or 5 days to repair like new. They are also going to go over it with a fine toothed comb for any other scratches we may have missed. The adjuster gave them the go ahead for that.

I can't believe I had this car less than 2 weeks and it will be subjected to surgery. I will say that the HHR is lucky since I usually park much closer to the tree and had I done that, the limb would have gone through the roof. The limb was as big as most trees. I couldn't fit my arms around it and it stretched more than 35 feet.

I am considering putting a visor over the windshield. Does anyone know where I could buy one of these. I prefer the old curved one to the newer squared off ones you see on many pick ups.

Thanks for listening while I ranted.......

Mick
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 PM

First, OUCH!!

Second....are you looking for a visor like this??? http://www.californiacruisers.com/dragon_goes_home.htm
Old 05-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Applenut, exactly the visor I was looking for. Thanks...... I figure if I can get it, the body shop can paint/install it while the HHR is there.

Thanks so much......

Mick
Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 PM

wow, sorry to hear about what happened... hope everything is fixed to your liking, but in my experience they never get it right, I guess that's just US... hub and I paint cars on the side

like I said tho, GL!!!

keep us updated :)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by zylona
Applenut, exactly the visor I was looking for. Thanks...... I figure if I can get it, the body shop can paint/install it while the HHR is there.

Thanks so much......

Mick

Be aware, the passenger wiper needs a different size blade, I believe, check with them as you order it.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 PM

Mike, I feel your pain. My HHR is in the shop right now for a deer strike. Before you buy a visor, check out the aluminum one offered by "Race and Street" (one of the supporting vendors) It does not require drilling or wiper mods.

Gary
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by G Gray
Before you buy a visor, check out the aluminum one offered by "Race and Street" (one of the supporting vendors)
From original post.......

Originally Posted by zylona
I prefer the old curved one to the newer squared off ones you see on many pick ups.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Well that just stinks...and I understandhow you must feel. I would just die if something happened to "Smoke"
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 PM

ow

Goose
Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 AM

Poo poo happens. I had my HHR two months and got caught in a freak hail storm. Did about $1,400 damage. Made me sick. She was fixed just fine, but I still look at her as not perfect anymore.

Quick Reply: Damn tree limb