General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

damn uncomfortable seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I just wish the wheel would telescope out as if my legs were just a little longer it would be a problem.

Since telescopic steering wheel is not an option..
A while back I added a Brody knob, & that is just right for me..
Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Deceased

Gee sleeper I hadn't heard the proper name for a "Necker's Knob" in years, wonder how many people know its named for Steve Brodie who jumped off the Brooklyn bridge and survived back in 1886.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM

I hate those knobs. My dad was handicapped and we had to have those on all our cars. They kill steering wheels if you ever resell too.

A knob would not cure what I want. I like a wheel close to me for better leverage and I need the pedals out for leg room. The closer the wheel the more leverage and less tiring it is on long trips. Kind of like in a race car. The stock cars I have driven normally have the wheel very close for leverage for control and prevent arm fatigue in longer runs.

Also I like to keep both hands on the well without a obstruction on the wheel. In my dads cars it was the first thing I removed when I got it. His you could pull the knob out of the holder. They would catch in coat sleeves in the winter. Sorry I just grew up with them and grew to hate them.

Not to mention they are not legal everywhere.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

hyper- agreed, they are not for everyone..

But I'm quite used to them over the many years.. & will continue using 'em..
As far as damage to my leather wheel, not so if using the right one, with a padded clamp..

Legal ? I think they are most likely illegal in all states........

I remember bench seats & having one arm around my gal & one hand on the brody to wheel about, or to the local drive-in...

843-

Do you mean this guy ?
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Deceased

Yup that's him sleeper, Steve Brodie, bridge jumper and self promoter par excellence.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
hyper- agreed, they are not for everyone..

But I'm quite used to them over the many years.. & will continue using 'em..
As far as damage to my leather wheel, not so if using the right one, with a padded clamp..

Legal ? I think they are most likely illegal in all states........

I remember bench seats & having one arm around my gal & one hand on the brody to wheel about, or to the local drive-in...

843-

Do you mean this guy ?
We has single clamped, Double clamped, rubber coated and even taped the wheel and every one damaged the steering wheel to the point it where you would notice it when sold. If you did not crank it down then it moved and cut the leather. Only on the plastic wheels did it prove not to be an issue.

But Dad no longer drives and it is no longer an issue.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:57 PM

The driver's seating position, particularly for those over 6', will always be the egg stain on the chin, for these otherwise great cars.

The power seat is comfortable but way too short in supporting the legs. The right knee room is cramped. Terrible left arm support on the door panel. The seat sits too high/doesn't lower enough which obstructs vision and head room. The steering wheel is way too far away.

I'm 6'5" and the first two weeks driving my 35 minute commute I was saying to myself, "good Lord, what have I done?" How could Chevy disregard the 6'+ American consumer when designing this vehicle???

That said, I slowly got used to it and absolutley love the car as a whole and would still buy it again knowing what I know now.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Haven't thought about brodie knobs in many years. Used to have them on cars vintage late 40's and 50's, no power steering, and lock to lock was probably 6 to 8 revolutions of the steering wheel. When that wheel returned after a turn, it really spun, and if the brodie knob hit your hand or wrist, it could break it. Had to be careful of that, but we all had to have them.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Laco
Haven't thought about brodie knobs in many years. Used to have them on cars vintage late 40's and 50's, no power steering, and lock to lock was probably 6 to 8 revolutions of the steering wheel. When that wheel returned after a turn, it really spun, and if the brodie knob hit your hand or wrist, it could break it. Had to be careful of that, but we all had to have them.
It just takes getting used to using them, they still are seen on many vehicles.

I have had on about each of my vehicles since I was young..(long time)..
And as a kid my Dad had them on his dump truck & loader..

hyper-

I disagree, no marks on my wheel..They have come a long way since the hose type band clamps..
Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 AM

I have a brodie on my riding mower, works great for all the turns at the properties edge.
Never thought of putting one on the HHR though.

Quick Reply: damn uncomfortable seats