General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

daytime running light options

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
I just hit the fog lites and the ambers come on with the fogs and the HdLites are off..
ditto. did this for the first time today actually. i was following my dad to drop off our '94 Suburban at his friends house (used to be certified technician) to have some work done on it, and i randomly decided to turn on my fogs, and saw the headlights shut off in the reflection on the burb. i was amazed. i will be driving with fogs on at all times now.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 PM

When you take the right corner off the fuse do the auto lamps still work?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 PM

OK, I've read all of the suggestions and mods. I want to install HID headlights and don't want the reduced voltage to the HID transformer(s). I don't want to mod a relay, pull fuses, or other hardware changes. So, can the dealer service modify the BCM program to set the DRL bit (if one exists) to turn off DRL? I have had to change the headlamp bulbs more times than I care to do. HID headlamps and DRL off would make me a happy driver.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by treecem
OK, I've read all of the suggestions and mods. I want to install HID headlights and don't want the reduced voltage to the HID transformer(s). I don't want to mod a relay, pull fuses, or other hardware changes. So, can the dealer service modify the BCM program to set the DRL bit (if one exists) to turn off DRL? I have had to change the headlamp bulbs more times than I care to do. HID headlamps and DRL off would make me a happy driver.
Sorry, no.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:59 AM

Red face I just rotate the headlight stalk back to turn off the daytime running lights.

Also I found interesting reading and learned how to not have the headlights come on when you activate the remote door unlock button. The same section even explained how to reset the oil life monitor by momentarily holding the 2 'DIC' buttons on the steering wheel, the first option that pops up is the oil reset option.
Ain't it just plain amazing what you can find out in those little owners' manuals.
Personally, being in Cali., I have gotten used to turning on the headlights in the day time when it rains. Even with Day time running lights, the tail lights do not come on unless you turn on your head lights. You can get ticketed here for that. This is most true if you have your windshield wipers on and your lights are not. Same goes for the occasional dust storm. With out the need for the windshield wipers. It is just that with low visibility you must have your normal headlights on so that the tail lights also illuminate.
So, with that said, why do we need DRL's? You have to turn on your head lights any way in all low visibility situations.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 PM

DRL Options

Originally Posted by JJ_
It sounds like it would be a simple rewiring of the DRL Module output from the headlamps to the park/turn signal lamps. ChevyMgr could you send me the schematics to each system? I would be interested to see what would be involved.

Thanks,

JJ
I too would like to see the schematics for the 2006 and 2007 DRL.As a retired electronics tech I'd like to see how much work is involved.My present courrier job requies me to make a lot of stops so the manual method to switch to parking lights isn't a option.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:40 AM

Question Daytime running lights

I have read through more than a few messages on Daytime running lights. I am running a 2006 HHR, and That model did NOT come equipped with DRL. Simple work around, I just put a black bottle cap over the dash sensor, and headlights are on while running. Here is the rub. With the headlights on during the day time the radio, and instrument cluster readouts go to the dime mode, and are for the most part unreadable. I tried adjusting the dimness control, and even Replaced it with a new one. No change The plug on the back of the wheel appears different than the one on my 08, is there a different wheel switch for the 06 model, and if so, does anyone have a part number. Anyone know how to force the readouts to stay bright??
Old 05-22-2021, 08:56 AM

2006 models use the front turn signals for DRL.
The dimmer on later models includes a on/off switch for the dome light.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Take that bottle cap off the light sensor.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by LDelco
I am running a 2006 HHR, and That model did NOT come equipped with DRL. Simple work around, I just put a black bottle cap over the dash sensor, and headlights are on while running.
Work around for what? Not judging your preferences, just curious - why is it so important for you to use the headlights for daytime running lights? What you’re doing is running them at full intensity, but most DTL systems that use the headlamps run them at reduced voltage when in DRL mode. NHTSA says DRL’s make no difference for safety, anyway.

If you REALLY must have the headlamps on during the day, you could just turn them on at startup, and them remember to turn them off at shutdown, like you needed to do in the old days when you got no buzzer or bell or nuthin’ to remind you, other than dead battery to motivate your diligence next time. Or will the HHR turn the headlights off after awhile anyway?

Quick Reply: daytime running light options