General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Daytime running lights and HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Daytime running lights and HIDs

I know that the daytime running system feeds less power to the lights during the day. How does this act with an aftermarket HID system? I'm assuming it reacts the same way, but i wanted to make sure.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 PM

you need a battery harness for the HID kit .. itll run just fine with that installed :)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 20HHRSS08
you need a battery harness for the HID kit .. itll run just fine with that installed :)
can you go into more detail please? thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM

I did a little research on DDM tuning about the install process. In their directions they say to install a harness so I assume that one comes in their kit?

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/in...id=102&nav=0,1
Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM

You don't want HID's running with DRL's. Just pull the fuse. THe wiring kit for HID's is to help with the initial startup, makeing sure both ballests get power. SOme cars need one, some don't. The H13 hi/low kits basically has one built in.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
You don't want HID's running with DRL's. Just pull the fuse. THe wiring kit for HID's is to help with the initial startup, makeing sure both ballests get power. SOme cars need one, some don't. The H13 hi/low kits basically has one built in.

I am curious as to how the HI/LOW setup works? If I am reading ads correctly the HI/LOW ones still use a halogen bulb for the high beam. How the heck do you mount two bulbs in our housings? Or am I missing something? Seems like the BI-Xenon kits would be better for our cars.

Sorry OP for the thread jack, but maybe you know this or want to know this info too.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Actually that is a good question. I wondered that myself. Yes it is a single "bulb", but it telescopes in/out of the housing to make either the hi or low light. Nice thing is it is instant since the bulb is already fired and at full intensity. These also tap into the battery power, so it eliminates the need for a seperate wiring kit to prevent misfires on startup.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
I am curious as to how the HI/LOW setup works? If I am reading ads correctly the HI/LOW ones still use a halogen bulb for the high beam. How the heck do you mount two bulbs in our housings? Or am I missing something? Seems like the BI-Xenon kits would be better for our cars.

Sorry OP for the thread jack, but maybe you know this or want to know this info too.
The hi.lo works just like the stock setup If I'm not mistaken. single bulb
Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Actually that is a good question. I wondered that myself. Yes it is a single "bulb", but it telescopes in/out of the housing to make either the hi or low light. Nice thing is it is instant since the bulb is already fired and at full intensity. These also tap into the battery power, so it eliminates the need for a seperate wiring kit to prevent misfires on startup.
That sounds like what is described for all the BI-XENON kits. I like this idea myself. The one's listed as HI/LOW seem to state HI = Halogen LOW = HID. But I do now see pics of the bulbs and yes it is one bulb with both a xenon side and a halogen side. Since there is quite a big price difference in these two types of kits I am wondering if there is a significant difference in the bulbs outputs at both hi and low use? At low I would hope/think they should be pretty much the same so I gues I am more wondering which bulb type is better overall.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by helhedded
The hi.lo works just like the stock setup If I'm not mistaken. single bulb
Yeah I finally saw some pics of the hi/low bulbs and they were just one bulb but it paired up a halogen for the hi beam and a xenon for the low beam sitting side by side.

Quick Reply: Daytime running lights and HIDs