General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dayton OH-Chattanooga TN

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Banned

Dayton OH-Chattanooga TN

First off, I must say, WHAT FUN!

For the most part it was smooth sailing. Nice calm cruise, no worries, all the time in the world it seemed.
Cruised through southern OH and into KY in no time flat. From Dayton through Mid-Northern KY there was moisture and LOTS of snow on the ground, but to my surprise, none on the highway. Why? Because KY knows how to do snow removal and ice management (OH take a seat and learn here). I mean, there was still "water" on the roads, but it wasn't near slick. Cruisin south on 75, just across the KY/TN border, stop for some petrol at the Hillside Marathon. There I pull up to a pump, coincedently next to an Ohioan with a Ford F350. My g/f gives me her debit card so I can pick up fuel while she went to the BR. So I tell the guy he has a nice truck, and he accepted the compliment, saying he's on his way back to Lima and was stopping for some fuel. Had been coming from Nashville, hauling some tires in the bed of his truck, for his rims. I asked him, "what kind of fuel economy do you get?" He said, "this will be my best trip yet, 18mpg." I chuckled saying, "I get that on a bad day of running 100+mph, on average I get 32mpg." His eyes got wide, and said "well ****, ya got me beat. Say, have you raced anyone with that?" "Yep, sure have" I replied, "even beaten a couple, without breaking a sweat it seemed." He chuckled, "well, I have to get truckin', these tires can't drive themselves home yanno." See ya! All the while my g/f was gone, she came back, and I was ready and waitin' to go. The flag dropped, and I gun it outta there, around a mid-road U-turn driftin' and down the road to 75 south and we were "on the road again". Driving through Tennesee was fun. So much so, I nearly ran right up on a Knoxville cop. Oddly, he was not paying any attention, because I had been doin' 75 in a 55. Get outside of Knoxville to the 75 interchange and traffic had dwindled, and here in front of me was a Dodge Ram Rumble Bee. How could I pass it up? I dropped it in 4th, and gunned in. From about 1/2 mile back I made it to 95 as I stormed past him, and down the 75 south ramp. He never tried to challenge, so I think it was probably about his fuel economy. ;-) 75 south from there was a blast! Light traffic at about 3pm and the twists and turns on the dry freeway, how. Could I resist? Hit ~85 and was taking those curves like butter! I couldn't believe how easy Stiglitz made it seem! Finally, after 7 hours of driving, i we arrive in Chattanooga, and are on our way to my g/f's family's rental house, and yet still the curves were fun. Banked curves, no 90degree right or left hand turns and it was like cake. Even the guy at the car wash thought it was a nice HHR "hey man, this is nice" despite it being plastered with road salt and water spots.
Took my g/f's family for a ride to the mall yesterday (for the record, my g/f is a crazier driver than me, being a driver like myself that is), and gave them a feel for the ride. They all thoroughly enjoyed the fun curves too, and said I was a "good driver" ;-) if they only knew.
It is now 8am, I have been writing the short story on my phone for a half hour. Everyone else I'm sure is asleep, and here I lay awake, having had the need to share this story. Probably leaving for OH about noon or shortly after.

Alright everyone, see you on the flip-flop, I'm sackin' out.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Deceased

Nothing like a good road trip to loosen you up, sounds like you had fun. Have a safe trip back to the Buckeye state and remember....keep the shiny side up and the hammer down.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Banned

10-4 good buddy.