General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Decisions, Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 AM

i love my LT2,....... test drove a SS .... but i didnt think i wanted to spend the extra.... my little 2.4 gets up and goes pretty dog gone good.....
Old 05-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
monster5601 makes a good point, "depends on what road surface you are on"
I run 30 to 31 psi in my tires, and on blacktop roads smooth & quiet, on cement roads, you will hear the tire noise, I assume it is just a characteristic
of the tires on the SS. I don't like it myself, but can live with it and when it comes time to change tires, will go to a different tire........

get the SS..........
Actually I think thats a characteristic of the road surface. In my experience asphalt will be quieter no matter what tires you have on.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by monster5601
I've got both, 2LT and a SS, the 2LT is a 2006. Tire noise seems to be dependent on road surface and tire wear. I have just over 31K on the 2LT and tire noise in minimal so far. I have yet to hear tire noise from the SS but I expect to start hearing it around 14K miles. That seems to be the magic number for performance tires from my experience.

One other thought, dealers seldom correct the tire pressure on newly delivered vehicles. The factory ships tires with 40 or more PSI. My SS had 40 PSI in the tires when I check it. That can influence road tire noise.

Disclaimer: The wife just peaked over my shoulder to reminded me that the SS is hers.

I recommend the SS, it is fun to drive, very peppy, and when you put your foot in to it, it goes, I mean it gooooooes!. The MPG is the same or better, our SS is a manual and my average MPG is a few miles better than the 2LT automatic.

Good points and yep, this is for my wife too (maybe).

On the test drive of the SS a 280Z got up on my tail, a short jab of the go pedal and he was a small dot in my mirror with big eyes. The wife and the salesman also had big eyes and big smiles too.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by grouch
Good points and yep, this is for my wife too (maybe).

On the test drive of the SS a 280Z got up on my tail, a short jab of the go pedal and he was a small dot in my mirror with big eyes. The wife and the salesman also had big eyes and big smiles too.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Sounds like I was mistaken, I guess you can put regular in the SS. In my experience with turbo cars, they always required premium gas to prevent knock under compression. Good to know things have changed.
In the past few years, GM has been using an octane sensor in the fuel system which allows the engine controller to make use of addition tables used to spark the engine.

The octane along with input air temperature, barometric pressure, etc, allows for a better burn in the cylinder. So, depending on the operating environment, 87 octane may offer the same or near the same performance as 91 or better octane. The experts say you need about a 30 HP change to feel it, AKA: seat of the pants.

What would be interesting is to collect a set of dyno runs with various temperature and humidity values to see just how the engine output is effected between 87 and 91 octane.

My best guess is that the difference will not be detectable by seat of the pants except for extreme changes like that of mid summer.

On my LS2 engine, 81 degrees is when the controller starts pulling timing and I can feel it when driving in hot weather. It would be interesting to see what the SSs engine does.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:02 PM

I would get an SS. You'll make a lot of the initial expense back upon resale. I probably get the best mileage of any member in either hhr forum 2.2 0r 2.4. I have never pulled into a gas station with out driving 400 mile first, and in highway 500+. I've used 87 on the first fill up (gee thanks dealer) and 93/94 since. I can't tell if there is a power difference, since I didnt stomp on it in the first 1500 miles, but in regular driving I have seen no difference in mpg with 87 vrs 94. You should be able to haggle the dealer down to a hair under 24,000 with lsd, sun roof, xm, power everywhere, etc. If not, try another dealer. Don't get black unless you like a dirty car, or washing it regularly ( i like neither). Yes the ride is harsh, but I'm putting 20's on this summer thanks to the feedback from those in this forum. So harsh is a matter of preference. The SS will turn an handle better without a doubt. On the highway its a smooth as butter at 60-70-80-105-120-128-130.......turn comming......
Old 05-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
On the highway its a smooth as butter at 60-70-80-105-120-128-130.......turn comming......
yup ^^^
Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 PM

F*** it. Get the SS.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM

I'd get the SS. But I'm biased...

I test drove a 2LT before I bought my SS, there wasn't an SS in my state or North Carolina. Figured an HHR was an HHR, just have a little more giddy up with the SS. I like the feel of the SS better, feels firm and planted to the road. I've found the road noise depends on the road surface. Asphalt is really quite, that compressed gravel or whatever it's called that looks like concrete not so much.

Either way you'll be getting a nice ride, good luck.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Uma

Went with my friend to get a new HHR two weeks ago. We looked for hours and having one, I am somewhat educated about the car. We went to a large dealership, prices cheaper than many of the other local dealerships. She went with the 1LT AA5. Around, $19.5 grand. The 2LT loaded, was $24 grand, The black SS was $25.5 grand. Between the 2Lt and the SS..for $1500 more....I am all over that SS. I have done alot of mods to my car, and I think the SS with sweet looking 18" rims, the nice skirting, etc. I wouldn't do much to that car at all, maybe lower it a bit. Overall, SS!! Save $6 grand though..this looks pretty good. Todd(uma)
Attached Images