General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

dies with rear wiper button

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 05:15 PM

dies with rear wiper button

Hello everyone!
my names adrian I am new to the forum. well i've used it a lot for jobs on my hhr but now something outta my league has happen. A few years ago i started swapping out the engine on my hhr 2.2 because it developed rod knock. The car has sat in the garage this whole time till now. I finally got around to installing a used 2.2. It starts and idles beautiful however i think crossed a wire somewhere. Sorry but electrical is not my thing. Is there anyone who might know why when i go to turn on the rear wiper the car dies? as soon as it dies it also shows a message power steering as well as service air bag.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:31 PM

more info

Just a little more info. when first turning the key the rear wiper instantly starts moving. So when we pulled the engine we removed some of the computers in the front of the fuse box. as well as disconnecting the fuse box and removing the plastic support all the harnesses clip into. some ares around the engine harness I was a little not sure about was the starter and how many wires went to the starter. right now there is one small one on the small terminal, and two bigger wires on the big terminal. Is that correct? so three total wires to the starter. Also this hhr does not have remote start and is an LS model. Lastly is it possibpe to have reveres any of the two harnesses to very front most computer under the hood?
Old 06-27-2021, 06:15 PM
Administrator

This is definitely a show case example of label all the wires you disconnected when you removed the fuse box and ECM and TCM

It is most likely you put a wire to somewhere it shouldn’t be, seems you have the starter wires correct, but I’m thinking the power steering post has an extra wire!

That red wire on that terminal at the upper left, see there, that’s the power to the power steering fuse and relay. Inspect there if there is more then one wire, that is a problem.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:27 PM

Hi Adrian, to the forums!

Here are search results for "rear wiper kills". You can try other variants, change the type of search(top right of pretty much every page here) from "threads" to "Google".

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/sear...ar+wiper+kills
Old 06-27-2021, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Here is a thread pertaining to similar issues,

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...lls-car-58703/
Old 06-28-2021, 09:01 AM

Something is crossed in the fuse box. Somehow the wiper switch is shorting something. I am guessing with Oldblue; I bet somebody thought the power steering lug is a ground. Or, you connected something to it that should go to the front lug, causing a backwards current flow.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:53 PM

Hey everyone thank you for all the replies and suggestions! I will definitely label all wires next time as well as take plenty of pictures. So the the other thread on here talked about replacing the junction box and that worked. well i went back out and took mine off and then plugged all harness's in and made sure they were tight and fully connected and it worked! so far so good! my guess is maybe i didn't have the all harness in and flush and possible arcing under the junction box maybe? Before one headlight was out, as well as the horn, and rear wiper killswitch lol now everything seems fine and normal.

One other concern that did come up is a rough idle when cold starting. Im talking leaving it sit over night and starting. It will idle rough till i rev and it idles smoothly after that and will start perfectly as well after that initial rev. Anymore suggestions? Theres no codes right now but i have been clearing the engine light when first starting the engine there was a number one misfire that went away. Maybe over time it'll throw a code for the idle?
Old 06-29-2021, 05:00 PM

You could try cleaning the throttle body. Do not move the butterfly plate manually. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...le-body-50000/
Old 06-30-2021, 06:58 AM
Administrator

And if the # 1 misfire code returns, clean the fuel rail. Debris can build up and block the fuel flow to #1 injector