General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

A dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM

there is alot of up and movement in the roof. I was actually to afraid to go on the highway with the kayak on top.
i really can't believe in this day and age of people getting outdoors with bikes boats skiis etc... that gm would not make some kind of supports in the roof for racks, what are they gonna do in 08 when the panel comes out, people will put ladders and stuff up there.
i still have my Q towers and clips for the wifes car, which i know will take two bikes and two kayaks (about 160 ~175 LBS)

Name:  IMG_0773Small2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  47.5 KB
Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM

Okay, our neighbor, who happens to work for Chevy, told us that we should NOT have the after market roof rack put on our new LS. The salesman told us we could....for eight hundred bucks, have Chevy put one on. We bought the LS with the notion that we could have the roof rack put on and that we'd be able to put our carrier on there for our camping trips. Our neighbor told us that unless they come from the factory, the roof is not reinforced and it's not strong enough to carry any kind of load. We don't know if it's really true, but we're not going to take a chance, so we're looking at an alternative.

We had hopes of being able to carrry our carrier, in which we don't carry much weight, since we only carry lightweight bulky stuff like our sleeping bags, and Thermarest and tent, along with my hubby wanting to add a canoe, which now we feel we won't be able to do. Not too happy about that right now.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 PM

mine was a dealer installed GM/chev roof rack,the salesman said it was covered under warantee
but the roof is week. wondering if i got shafted by the dealer just sell me a roof rack?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:12 AM

WOW, reading all this definatly does not make me want to put the rails on mine. I did the hitch and have a 24x60 hitchhaul and a 4x6 tilt trailer....

I hope they suffice....
Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 AM

Like I said, the salesman and his manager told us "Sure you can add a roof rack, just bring it on in and we'll do it!" But, our neighbor looked into it, and mind you he works for Chevy, and he said, that unless it is added on at the FACTORY, DON'T do it! The Roof will not be reinforced. We are NOT happy campers about this because we were really looking forward to being able to load the bulky stuff on the roof. Now we're checking out putting one of those racks on the back on which we can put some kind of box. We would have waited for one from the factory had we known that. Just goes to show you that salesmen just want to make a quick sale.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:39 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Rrailwriter
unless it is added on at the FACTORY, DON'T do it! The Roof will not be reinforced.
my dad is the parts manager for a GM dealer, and if I am not mistaken things like the roof rack, even if ordered on the vehicle, are added by the dealer after the vehicle arrives at the dealer. I understood that this was also true of the running boards and spoiler. Is the roof reinforced if the roof rails are ordered? Am I mistaken that the dealer adds these 'accessory' options once the vehicle arrives on the lot?!?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil

and if I am not mistaken things like the roof rack, even if ordered on the vehicle, are added by the dealer after the vehicle arrives at the dealer.
I was under the same impression.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought the roof rack came from the factory. I have never seen it listed as dealer added, like the running boards are on any invoice.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil

my dad is the parts manager for a GM dealer, and if I am not mistaken things like the roof rack, even if ordered on the vehicle, are added by the dealer after the vehicle arrives at the dealer. I understood that this was also true of the running boards and spoiler. Is the roof reinforced if the roof rails are ordered? Am I mistaken that the dealer adds these 'accessory' options once the vehicle arrives on the lot?!?
That's easy.....wrong !!!!!! Only the boards and the spoiler and anything else listed as dealer option/installed.

Saw mine on the truck being delivered to the dealer from the distribution yard. Had the roof rails on and wrapped in plastic.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
That's easy.....wrong !!!!!! Only the boards and the spoiler and anything else listed as dealer option/installed.

Saw mine on the truck being delivered to the dealer from the distribution yard. Had the roof rails on and wrapped in plastic.
I should have known this. The Premiere Edition that was damaged had roof rails on them. Duh!!!

Quick Reply: A dilemma