General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dingy towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Dingy towing

I have had our HHR since 2006 2008 we acquired a motor coach and I have alway dollied it ((PS with no issues I have seen that asked a dozen times)) now I have finally Blue Ox'd it, base plate and hitch AND went to relay box under hood to review the set up for #8 fuse to pull and there is NO #8 Am I missing something. First trip is just four hours so not worried about battey dying, BUT just trying to find known knowledge!!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by foureighty
now I have finally Blue Ox'd it, base plate and hitch AND went to relay box under hood to review the set up for #8 fuse to pull and there is NO #8 Am I missing something. First trip is just four hours so not worried about battey dying, BUT just trying to find known knowledge!!
Check the fuse box on the passenger side foot well inside the car. BTW, welcome to the site!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM

You should use a brake buddy. You're pulling 3000+ lbs. You can get an aftermarket disconnect for fuse #8 and is made for this exact purpose. Below is a pic of the disconnect. It is available at this website:
http://www.rv-partsplus.com/home/accessories/

I have been towing my Samurai flat for years, but I'm in the process of getting Demco baseplates for my HHR SS (Demco is the only company who makes baseplates to fit around the intercooler).

Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 PM

Yes, the #8 fuse is on the right side bottom of the center console. I jiust leave a yellow fuse puller on that fuse, makes it so easy to see and pull. Have been flat towing our HHR for a couple of years now, using Blue Ox, gear. I had a US Gear Brake system installed, just plug it in, and it uses the car's own power brake system. No boxes to mess with, I get a green lite on the controller on the motor home dash, and its good to go.

Pulling fuse 8 will disable the radio, odometer, and the srs system. If your motor home, and HHR is wired correctly you should get a low level charge from the motor home to your car, while you are underway.

Last edited by Laco; 10-20-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
I had a US Gear Brake system installed, just plug it in, and it uses the car's own power brake system. No boxes to mess with, I get a green lite on the controller on the motor home dash, and its good to go.
I haven't set up my HHR yet for flat towing and the US Gear sounds interesting.

What did it run you in $$? It seems more mechanically sound than the "brake wedge" (brake buddy, etc.)

Thx in advance...

A fellow RV'er
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
I haven't set up my HHR yet for flat towing and the US Gear sounds interesting.

What did it run you in $$? It seems more mechanically sound than the "brake wedge" (brake buddy, etc.)

Thx in advance...

A fellow RV'er
IMO the US gear is far superior to brake buddy etc. Its all proportional braking, and again all you do is just plug it it. Unfortunately its not inexpensive, cost approx 2K installed. Be sure your installer is familiar with the system, there is quite a lot to do to the car, not so much to the motor home. Mine turned out so clean, you see nothing, unless you know exactly what and where you are looking for.

The HHR is a great tow car.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Costs

OK thanks I now know where to look the blux Ox package purchased the 10,000 lbs tool bar with 4 way cord and a set of 10000 lbs safety cable on e bay for $450.00 including freight lightly used a 650.00 new cost the base plate came from craiglist 5 minutes before I was purchasing on line new in the box never opened 300.00 to the door RV adventure in TN 339.00 in box plus freight I pulled a dolly for tow years HHR in lower had to ramp it up on to dolly and then adjust do it did not bottom out when sit in pans, PAIN. Looking forward to this so storage just go AGAIN thank John
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Your 10,000 pound tow bar, is a little overkill for the HHR, but it should certainly handle it. You will love flat towing it, no trailer dolly to deal with, when you get to your destination. Other than I can see the HHR in the rear camera, I would never know it was there.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM

flat towing

I have a demco tow bar and base plate. works great. They are really nice people to deal with --the factory tech people are really helpful--and the ONLY one that makes the baseplate for the SS. I wired my tail lights with the diode package and just run the wire down the inside of the car, out the door and under the hood to the motorhhome. works great. Motordoc
Old 12-26-2014, 06:14 PM

Recently purchased a 2010 LT to tow behind a class A motor home.
I am in the process of installing a Blue Ox base plate and wiring harness. If anyone has advise as to how to run the wiring from front to back, and getting the break away wire through the firewall. I would appreciate any input.

Quick Reply: Dingy towing