General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

disable alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Class !!!!

Actually, I had a slip of the finger (or a brain fart, at my age) . Give me a break, I'm on vacation....sitting on the beach in Hawaii.
then I have to ask since you are on vacation in Hawaii... is with you You are ON VACATION, Step away from the computer, pick up your drink and drop down on the towel to get some fun in the sun !!
I think you need a class on how to vacation !!
curtsy
Elle'
Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Believe me....I know how to vacation. That's why I elected to spend 3 weeks here. But at certain times of the day, on certain days, I need to use the computer for "business" (thank goodness for Wi-Fi).. That's how I can afford to take the family on vacations several times a year. And they have NO OBJECTION to that. For example right now, I am on the other side of the island from my resort, enjoying the scenery, having Loko Moki for breakfast and having a cool drink.

Also remember, I'm on Hawaiian time, which is 3-6 hours earlier than most people on the mainland.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Founding Member

Okay everyone forget anything I have stated in this thread, since I was giving information based on old operating systems which is old knowledge in my head.

I never use the electric door lock switch to lock my doors, only the key fobs. But GM vehicles have always armed the security system by using either the KEY FOB or the ELECTRIC DOOR LOCK SWITCH.

But even though the owners manual says the door lock switch will arm the system. IT DOES NOT, per the Repair Manual. This is true for 2006, 2007 and 2008 HHRs.

So I looked up the Cobalt (similar vehicle systems). In 2006 the electric door lock switch would arm the system. In 2007 and 2008 it will not.

The message to arm the HHR security system comes from the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) to the BCM (body control module). So I do not know of anyway to get the message to the BCM since it does not look for the electric door lock switch data.

So in essence the only way to set the alarm is to use the remote key fob.

So there you have it, I was wrong, I should of researched it before I answered or at least tried it on my own HHR. Maybe dad was right when he said "When all else fails, read the instructions". Which for me is the Repair Manual.

The owners manual is printed by Helm Inc and they only know what GM tells them to print, so the owners manual being incorrect is GMs fault.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Hey ChevMgr....

I'm doing this by memory but,

I'm reasonably sure my alarm sets with the electric door switch. I remember trying and using it on several occassions.

If I remember correctly.....while in the car, turn the ignition off, open the door, press the automatic door switch...to lock (the chimes sound 3 times and the "security lock" illuminates on the dash. Close the door and in about 5 seconds the doors "thunk" to the lock position. In about another 10 seconds the security lock on the dash goes out. Attempting to open the door confirms the lock is activated. If the window is down and I pull the lock 'nobby" up and open the door, the alarm goes off.

However, most of the time I use the remote.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM

on '07,'08 HHR the alarm only arms/disarms via factory remote.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Founding Member

Hey ChevMgr....

I'm reasonably sure my alarm sets with the electric door switch. I remember trying and using it on several occassions.

If I remember correctly.....while in the car, turn the ignition off, open the door, press the automatic door switch...to lock (the chimes sound 3 times and the "security lock" illuminates on the dash. Close the door and in about 5 seconds the doors "thunk" to the lock position. In about another 10 seconds the security lock on the dash goes out. Attempting to open the door confirms the lock is activated. If the window is down and I pull the lock 'nobby" up and open the door, the alarm goes off.

However, most of the time I use the remote.
It will chime three times and lock after you shut the last door the locks will lock, but that doesn't set the alarm. I just tried mine again before answering this. There was no alarm symbol on the cluster, and I waited 60 seconds and tried it but no alarm. However, I was also able to decipher the chimes and it translates into....Alarm Not Armed.

Snoopy, you need to be making memories right now, not burning them up.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:54 PM

Don't know if this helps, it's the '06 manual.

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...et/2006hhr.pdf

Section begins on page 2-16.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
jx3

I'm reasonably sure my alarm sets with the electric door switch.
Hey Snoopy, don't let anyone tell you you're senile (at least not yet). I can confirm your memory is still there.

On the 06s, the alarm WILL set when the auto door lock button has been engaged.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Founding Member

LMAO okay so I was RIGHT, I was WRONG, I was kind of RIGHT, I was kind of WRONG.

My 2007 won't set with the electric door switch and neither will a 2008 and they can't be programmed to do so.

A 2006 will set with the electric door switch, even though the Repair Manual states it doesn't, but the owners manual says it does. I didn't have a 2006 around to test what the Repair Manual stated. So all I went by was what it stated. I should of known Snoopy could not be wrong. And now I know that the HHR and the Cobalt changed their alarm systems in 2007.

Here is the repair manual statement on a 2006:

Service Information
2006 Chevrolet HHR | HHR (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 883957
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) Description and Operation

Arming the CTD system
Important: The CTD system can be armed with the windows or sunroof open.

Use the following procedure in order to arm the system:

Place the shift lever in PARK (P).
Turn OFF the ignition.
Open any door.
Important: The system is not armed if the doors are locked manually, the remote keyless entry transmitter must be used to arm the CTD system.

Lock the doors with the LOCK button on the transmitter. The system is in arm pending mode and will not start the arming timer until all doors are closed. The security indicator will remain OFF, until the CTD system is armed. The CTD system will arm after the last door is closed.
The system will arm approximately 30 seconds from the time that the last door is closed. During this delay the THEFT SYSTEM indicator will be OFF. When the indicator transitions to FLASHING, the system is armed.

Locking The Vehicle Without Arming The CTD System
Locking the vehicle may be accomplished without arming the CTD system. Use of the manual door locks or using the key to lock the doors will lock the vehicle but will not arm the CTD system.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM

I know when I first got my 06 it did not have a fob and I had to use the button, it DEFINITELY set the alarm when I used the button. The only way I found to not arm it was to hit the button before I shut the car off and lift the driver lock before I got out and manually pushed it down again, otherwise the car would go nuts whe I opened the door again, made me feel like a criminal getting into my own car. Got fobs now and those days are over.

Quick Reply: disable alarm system