General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

disable alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Well, did you read the thread? There are 3 previous pages. This has been discussed in a number of different threads that can be found easily, the info is not hiding. I don't have the problem, so I'm not inclined to search for the threads.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Hey donbrew. Who ya talking to there buddy ?

(I sure hope someone deleted a post before your's. If not, then we may need to send you for some testing. )
Old 11-28-2014, 07:48 PM

A member posted then deleted a question that this thread attempts to answer, then thought that I insulted him with my answer, then deleted his response to me.

I almost undeleted just to make me look less crazy, but I guess if somebody is not willing to let their comments stand I can live with that.

The exact answer to the question is in post #2 in this thread that he testily claimed he read.

To restate:
The answer is NO. If you use the power locks then open with the key the alarm will go off.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 PM

Just to throw out an answer to the how you can disable the alarm question.

It can not be disabled easily.

but if you lock your doors with manual knobs and use the key in the door to lock the car the next time you unlock the car with the key the alarm will not go off.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
A member posted then deleted a question that this thread attempts to answer, then thought that I insulted him with my answer, then deleted his response to me.

I almost undeleted just to make me look less crazy, but I guess if somebody is not willing to let their comments stand I can live with that.

The exact answer to the question is in post #2 in this thread that he testily claimed he read.

To restate:
The answer is NO. If you use the power locks then open with the key the alarm will go off.
What I asked for, is nowhere in this thread. I wanted to know how to disable the alarm system to temporarily get around this issue,as I can with my Silverado and CTS, at least until I can acquire new fobs.

Here's what I have found that may help the next person with the same issue. If you put your HHR in Neutral, then turn the ignition off, the doors remain locked. You can now place the shifter in Park and manually unlock the drivers door to exit. This will save you from having to go around and manually lock doors and this will also keep lock the rear tailgate locked.

EDIT; Page 3-48 in the owners manual has a setting change that will allow only the driver's door to unlock.

Last edited by taz3; 11-29-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:05 PM

Or you could do as I did. I cut into the power lock wire and installed another momentary contact switch in a hidden location on the bottom of my HHR.

I've done this with all my cars that have had the power lock button because my wife really likes to lock the keys in our cars.

If you don't feel like breaking into your car this button is darn handy.

It would also be a viable alternative to carrying a key fob with the remote entry button on it.