General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Discontinuing HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Mass produced retros can't last forever. The styling is static. What can they aspire to? Isn't that the reason why enthusiasts embraced the SSR (first) then the HHR (afterward)?

We as enthusiasts are captured in a point of time in automotive styling distinction and it cannot be reproduced again by mass production.

Only those who can afford the talent of legends such as Chip Foose or Jesse James can get something unique like this in the future and only by way of extreme, custom one-offs.

The Orlando will clearly have its place in regard to function, but unfortunately, will pretty much blend into the landscape of modern, mediocre automotive applications. Its styling will be somewhat difficult to distinguish among the popular Asian techno-appliances. It will never hold a candle to the styling uniqueness of the HHR.

ENJOY YOUR HHR. IT IS A VERY SPECIAL VEHICLE.
They could have carried it on in a new retro style but the problems is Retro is kind of dying out right now.

The shame of it all is the Olando is not a bad looking vehicle but it is a vehicle that looks much like 90% of what is out there.

But on the other hand at least it is not a Aztec. Sometimes different is not always so good.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 PM

This news doesn't sadden me at all. I like having a "rare" vehicle
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM

Look at the PT Cruiser. It's time came and went, it's still out there but hardly anyone cares.

Better to kill the HHR than let it die an embarrassing death.

Be glad we were able to get one at all.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:35 PM

From what I see, the HHR is still selling fairly well. I really like the retro look, but I know thre are those that don't. As far as it being 'rare' there were far too many manufactured and sold, for it to ever be rare, but they are still pretty cool looking.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 PM

I just don't like how the last production year they will sometimes used leftover parts, or make cheap parts that aren't quite right... My dad has owned 5 different '00-'08 Silverados, all the same body style. The last one he got was an '08 Classic. Had the goofiest parts that the other ones didn't. Worse thing was the cupholders. The ones in the back were too close to the side of the door, so you couldn't put anything in them....the drink would slant at an angle and fall out when you were driving. There were a few other things that looked different too... Almost like they were out of parts so they had another cheap supplier make them for a few trucks that were left.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by JT's HHR
This news doesn't sadden me at all. I like having a "rare" vehicle
Yep, one of only 600,000 plus made once they are done.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Yep, one of only 600,000 plus made once they are done.
But how many Pontiac G6's were made? How about the Toyota Corolla?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I just don't like how the last production year they will sometimes used leftover parts, or make cheap parts that aren't quite right... My dad has owned 5 different '00-'08 Silverados, all the same body style. The last one he got was an '08 Classic. Had the goofiest parts that the other ones didn't. Worse thing was the cupholders. The ones in the back were too close to the side of the door, so you couldn't put anything in them....the drink would slant at an angle and fall out when you were driving. There were a few other things that looked different too... Almost like they were out of parts so they had another cheap supplier make them for a few trucks that were left.
I think with the limited combinations in the last year that will not be an issue. I suspect there will be less options etc as they wind it down. You will get either this option group and interior color or you just don't get it.

The suppliers stay on line for replacment parts after the final years so running out of part of getting poor parts in not an issue.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Well, the panels, half panels, and SS will be relatively rare (wish I would have waited for a Panel SS)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mongo
Well, the panels, half panels, and SS will be relatively rare (wish I would have waited for a Panel SS)
SS Panels and SS half panels are low volume but the regular SS will be near 7,000 - 8,000 units in the end.

The term rare is one of the most abused words in the collector auto area. Every one wants that rare expensive auto but the truth is just slapping the rare label on a vehicle neither makes it rare or valuable.

The better way to discribe a vehicle is low volume. True low volume is less than 1000 built or left. Yenko = Rare, 1969 Trans Am= Rare. 1969 ZL-1 Corvette=Rare. All of these cars were really built in low number of hundreds or less.

2008 SS HHR 4500 units=low volume, 1978Indy Vette 5600 units = low volume etc.

Also just because a car may be on of 20 may make it rare but if it is one no one wants there is nothing to make it valuable. I have seem may of 1 of 3 or 10 made that were worthless due to they were cars no one cared about. For example a friend had a Desoto Limo from the early 50's one of If I recall 5 or 6 made. It was a neat car but only worth about $2,000 since it was ugly slow and just not a nice car even in good condition.

The HHR SS will keep some interest in the future similar to the RWD Monte SS of the 80's. If the Turbo upgrade becomes discontinued this will be a feature many will seek out.

The result is it will take years to see if the SS has any value. For all we know the world economy may crash and the SS may be worth less than a loaf of bread. With what is going on now that could come true I hate to say.

Buy the car of your dreams as if it is never worth anything you will still have the car you love. If it ends up being of value then it is a bonus.

The bottom line is cars are one of the worst investments on the low end. If you have money to invest you can play the market but even then some get burned if they hold on too long or buy too late.

Quick Reply: Discontinuing HHR?