General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Discontinuing HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Well, I don't really give a carp what my HHR would sell for, since I don't plan to sell it. I just like having a car that is different.

I had a 70 GMC no door van. (no side cargo doors) Rarest of the early vans, there were only a little over 200 built by Chevy and GMC combined. Best estimate I got was maybe 20 GMC's were built.

Yep, more rare than a Yenko Nova.

Desirable only to a very small subset of automotive enthusiasts. I ended up selling it for $750 when I was culling the herd.

I see old vans pop up on Ebay occasionally. I laugh when the sellers think that they are sitting on a gold mine. Vanners are notoriously cheap. Average vanner feels abused if he doesn't get a weekend of camping with electricity, 3 bands Friday and Saturday on stage, and some cheap food for $50 or less.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 PM

Like US savings bonds.....you take the chance that when they mature inflation hasn't wiped them out....waiting 20 years to see if they are worth anything is not for the average person..there are some who buy certain cars drive them home and never see daylight again...sometimes they get lucky..with the "new " cars I don't think so anymore....theres nothing special about them, no anniversary models, no power wars, no exotics ( not counting the high dollar cars), no one off models....everything is too common and too overbuilt....options are standard and all geared to sell ....what was once a desirable part is now standard on most models...cookie cutter blah blah...and too many built. 20 years from now we be running conveyor belts and working from home....won
t have room for garages and back yards....
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Can't worry about what might be! Right now the HHR is exactly what I need, and runs great, and IMO looks very cool, so I'm not concerned about what may or may not be. When the time comes that its no longer a good fit for my needs, I'll deal with it then.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
Can't worry about what might be! Right now the HHR is exactly what I need, and runs great, and IMO looks very cool, so I'm not concerned about what may or may not be. When the time comes that its no longer a good fit for my needs, I'll deal with it then.
Now that is the ideal

Note he did not even use the term rare. This is a statment all with a HHR should embrace.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM

Bought mine for what it is, not what it might someday be...
Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Value of an HHR?

Having been in the automotive industry for 20+ years, and having worked on some of the most prestigious cars on the market, I've learned that cars must be valued on several levels. If you're hoping that any car while become valuable in the future as an investment, then you're probably going to be disappointed.

I purchased my HHR Panel because out of all the cars on the road, it had "personality". I like the "sedan delivery" look and it stands out among all the mundane cars on the road. To me that "personality" is the value I seek.

Gene
Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
SS Panels and SS half panels are low volume but the regular SS will be near 7,000 - 8,000 units in the end.

The term rare is one of the most abused words in the collector auto area. Every one wants that rare expensive auto but the truth is just slapping the rare label on a vehicle neither makes it rare or valuable.

The better way to discribe a vehicle is low volume. True low volume is less than 1000 built or left. Yenko = Rare, 1969 Trans Am= Rare. 1969 ZL-1 Corvette=Rare. All of these cars were really built in low number of hundreds or less.

2008 SS HHR 4500 units=low volume, 1978Indy Vette 5600 units = low volume etc.

Also just because a car may be on of 20 may make it rare but if it is one no one wants there is nothing to make it valuable. I have seem may of 1 of 3 or 10 made that were worthless due to they were cars no one cared about. For example a friend had a Desoto Limo from the early 50's one of If I recall 5 or 6 made. It was a neat car but only worth about $2,000 since it was ugly slow and just not a nice car even in good condition.

The HHR SS will keep some interest in the future similar to the RWD Monte SS of the 80's. If the Turbo upgrade becomes discontinued this will be a feature many will seek out.

The result is it will take years to see if the SS has any value. For all we know the world economy may crash and the SS may be worth less than a loaf of bread. With what is going on now that could come true I hate to say.

Buy the car of your dreams as if it is never worth anything you will still have the car you love. If it ends up being of value then it is a bonus.

The bottom line is cars are one of the worst investments on the low end. If you have money to invest you can play the market but even then some get burned if they hold on too long or buy too late.
Well said. I will just enjoy driving my HHR-SS. Nothing like my dad's 1970 'cuda convertible with a 340 and a hurst 4-speed. Sad he got rid of it before I was born. My car isn't worth spit now and will never be but I enjoy it just the same.

Jim
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 PM

I lOVE mY hhr(S)

I agree with what has been said that you really cannot predict the "value" of a classic(or what we HHR owners deem a classic). I just purchased my 2nd HHR (2010LS) and we gave our son our 2006 HHR, LS. I love the way they look, I love driving them, and quite frankly, I could care less what anyone else thinks. (Even though they have been tremendously reliable!)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by rubics_cube
Having been in the automotive industry for 20+ years, and having worked on some of the most prestigious cars on the market, I've learned that cars must be valued on several levels. If you're hoping that any car while become valuable in the future as an investment, then you're probably going to be disappointed.

I purchased my HHR Panel because out of all the cars on the road, it had "personality". I like the "sedan delivery" look and it stands out among all the mundane cars on the road. To me that "personality" is the value I seek.

Gene
This is true. There are many more disapointed people who loose on future collector cars than win.

I like the HHR just for the fact it gives you the utility of a mini van and making you look like you sold out to the traditional family ride. It is kind of the anti minivan.

To me if a guy drives a new Mini Van daily he has sold his soul to conformity. I will excuse the used ones as they do make cheap beater rides.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I like the HHR just for the fact it gives you the utility of a mini van and making you look like you sold out to the traditional family ride. It is kind of the anti minivan.

To me if a guy drives a new Mini Van daily he has sold his soul to conformity. I will excuse the used ones as they do make cheap beater rides.
hyperv6, you definately have a point there. I could never bring myself to drive one of those "dorkmobiles" for personal and/or pleasure driving; It's very difficult to see any redeeming appeal (my opinion, of course). Only way would be for business or some other form of utility requirement; but in that case, someone or something else would hold the title.

I don't even mind the less than optimal cupholder situation with the HHR, because that is the one of the notable strong points in the marketing of minivans. I think that some even cool them.

....................!!!!!!!!!!

It's not hard to spot the one that's different, but it's hard to tell the remaining 2 apart, isn't it? So much for individuality with a minivan.