General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do I need a locking gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ivtech
About 17 years ago someone put sugar in one of our cars' gas tank.
That is usually not a sweet deal....sorry couldn't resist.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM

No, but it is a stickey situation.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by afs9
After my sister found someone had tried to jimmy open her Tahoe's gas cap (I live in a "challenging" area of OC!), I think it is time for one as well!

I'm told these are good choice gas cap by CST:
CST 5504 at AutoZone
CST 55040 at Wal Mart

(thanks ivtech!)
these do work but make sure you put it back on good or it will set off an alarm on dash. Stant 11511 doesnt work.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Back during the gas crisis in the 70s, gas siphoning was quite common and gas cap locks were common as well as locking gas doors. My cousin,in his youth, did some of that until he siphoned some diesel fuel for his car...he didn't get too far.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
Of course, will have to crawl under my HHR now to see where my tank is!
I'm not into lowering but I have to say that would be one advantage of lowering your HHR-- keep people from being able to get underneath it to get to the tank.

To the orig poster, its also not always about keeping things from coming out of your tank but about keeping things (sugar, etc as mentioned) from going in, from vandals.

I have one of the CST brand locking caps on my mine, got it @ Autozone, CST #5903. The Stant brand ones are too tall to allow the fuel door to close.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ivtech
About 17 years ago someone put sugar in one of our cars' gas tank.
And ...

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
To the orig poster, its also not always about keeping things from coming out of your tank but about keeping things (sugar, etc as mentioned) from going in, from vandals.
So true. Back in '92, my ex bought a used Cadillac Cimarron (I know, I know. Let's not go there.). Someone had sugared the gas, so the owner sold it cheap to get rid of it. A mechanic friend said he could remedy this -- and took the gas tank off and replaced it, then power flushed clean gasoline and injector cleaner through the engine. Too late, the damage was done, and the Cimarron died an extremely painful death just a week or so later. Can't tell you how badly this car ran until it finally died.

I think the decision has now been made for me ... a locking gas cap it is.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:29 PM

I went to checkers auto parts and they sold locking gas caps for Lts only. I found out the the cap flange is about a 1/2" thicker and won't fit an LS. Does this make sense to anyone and can a LS person get a locking gas cap.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 PM

guess I am lucky to have a garage to park at night. I thought of the locking gas cap for when I am out about town or out of town. But then I rather not have a hole put into my gas tank. Rather just replace the gas than the whole tank, possible fuel pump and gas. Of course you could supply Billy Mays with some money and buy some Mighty Putty LOL
Old 05-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Just a word of caution to those considering the CST cap. Be sure you get it on right or it will set off your CEL (check engine light)...it did mine when I had one on there. There are several solutions...one is recycling the key like 50 times I was told or driving it 50 miles or thereabouts (and at the price of gas, that can get costly)

The other is to disconnect the battery, let the car sit for a while and then reconnect it which is much easier. However, please remember not to completely close the rear hatch or you will be climbing thru the car on hands and knees to reconnect the battery. Been there...done that.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Yes it is true in most of your newer vehicles! I think some models started doing this as early as 1996. That won't stop a thief though, they can poke/drill a hole in the tank, or remove the filler neck to get past the roller ball. But the big money is your catalytic convertor for thiefs.
Is it true for the HHRs, do they have a screen in the filler?

Locks only keep honest people honest. I just want to discourage the neighbor kids from "borrowing" my fuel.

Quick Reply: Do I need a locking gas cap?