General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do I need a locking gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by monster5601
I was googling around looking for any information on a locking gas cap that will fit the HHR. I came across discussions that indicated that the HHR filler neck has a screen in it that would stop someone from being able to siphon fuel.

Anyone know if this is true? I don’t want to add more keys to my collection if I don’t have to.

Thanks
Last weekend I tried to borrow gas from my HHR to put in my gas can.
Got the siphon hose in the filler quite a ways but would not go all the way in.
I concluded there is something in the filler stopping hose access.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by monster5601
Is it true for the HHRs, do they have a screen in the filler?

Locks only keep honest people honest. I just want to discourage the neighbor kids from "borrowing" my fuel.
I believe it is called a roller ball or could be rollerball. Whatever the name, you can't simply shove a hose in the neck and get past it to the tank.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 AM

So the conclusion is that a locking gas cap is not needed to prevent fuel theft by siphoning.

Good, no new keys and no addition expense required. Win, win!

Thanks everybody.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 AM

But don't you want protection from someone putting something like sugar in your tank?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 AM

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...bruary/02.html

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp
Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Well, it would still make for a pain in the neck if someone put something into your gas tank. The odds are long, but better safe than sorry... that's my take on it.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Founding Member

I don't know what it cost for a locking gas cap, but if it gives you peace of mind, then the VALUE has exceeded the EXPENSE. If you don't want to carry another key, then throw it in the handy dandy center dash glove box. Afterall you will only need it when you are in the HHR so just keep it in there.

The only reason I don't worry about vandals is that I work in a shop, so it's not going to cost me anything but my time to fix. Another reason is we have a LOT of vehicles come in with SES lights on due to the non-GM locking cap not sealing correctly, so just get the right one to save yourself the time and headache of a trip to the dealer.

Lastly, there is a way to get the fuel out through the filler neck, but I won't post that in an open forum. I don't want to aid and abet any of the criminal elements that might be lurking in the forum. They just need to know that sticking a hose in the neck will not get them any gas from the tank.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the links! I stand kerected and mor edumakated now.

So, wonder what the problem really was with that poor old Cadillac Cimarron that we hauled off to the scrap heap and never shed a tear over ...
Old 05-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
So, wonder what the problem really was with that poor old Cadillac Cimarron that we hauled off to the scrap heap and never shed a tear over ...
I worked for a Cadillac dealer during those glory years of the 80's. Believe me it was just the nature of that beast to die when it was ready to die. They didn't need any outside assistance.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
Thanks for the links! I stand kerected and mor edumakated now.

Hey I remember those during the engineering and testing process. So, I'll just say you answered your own question with the 2 capitalized words in the second sentence.

Quick Reply: Do I need a locking gas cap?