General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do I need a locking gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Wow... my memory really failed me here. As soon as I saw Phoenix and Omega, I had the DUH! moment. You're absolutely right.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

I had a total of 4 X bodies. Two were absolute jewels, believe it or not. A 80 Citation and an 81 Omega.

The Citation had about 50,000 trouble free miles on it until my daughter t-boned an illegal left turn. She sustained minor injuries....car was totaled.

The Omega (v-6 w/manual) had about 40,000 trouble free miles on it when I sold it. Many of those miles were traveling to Colorado to help build a cabin. A friend purchased it for his daughter to use for transportaion while at college. It was stolen and wrecked.

The other two I won't talk about . Except the Skylark had a special paint job.....it was a color "long lead" vehicle. Had a Metallic Maroon for the 84 vehicles (GM sold cars directly to employees at that time).
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM

Thread Hi-jacked

Who Hi-jacked this thread......I thought it was about locking gas caps?????? WW
Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Good point and I'm guilty....

But the OP's information request has been answered by several people (along with other previously posted threads), so intent of the thread is over.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Citation was an X body

Cavalier and Cimarron were J bodies.

All three were POSs in their time.('80s)
I guess the "J" stood for Junk??
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cardwiz428
I went to checkers auto parts and they sold locking gas caps for Lts only. I found out the the cap flange is about a 1/2" thicker and won't fit an LS. Does this make sense to anyone and can a LS person get a locking gas cap.
We had a '99 GMC Sonoma pickup that we traded for an '06 LS. I had put a GM locking gas cap on the Sonoma previously. We swapped it for the standard cap that was on the HHR with no problem before we drove the HHR off the lot. So whoever makes the locking caps for GM (That fit the '99-'01 vintage S10/Sonoma pickups) they will fit an LS. Probably the LTs too, my guess!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by monster5601
I was googling around looking for any information on a locking gas cap that will fit the HHR. I came across discussions that indicated that the HHR filler neck has a screen in it that would stop someone from being able to siphon fuel.

Anyone know if this is true? I don’t want to add more keys to my collection if I don’t have to.

Thanks
yes you do need a locking cap as I called my local Chervrolet service department and they said it was possible to siphon gas as they do it to drop the tank.
I bought a cap at a local auto parts store and it would not let the cover close. Still looking for one that is made right.
Gordy
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Gordy
yes you do need a locking cap as I called my local Chervrolet service department and they said it was possible to siphon gas as they do it to drop the tank.
I bought a cap at a local auto parts store and it would not let the cover close. Still looking for one that is made right.
Gordy
We do drain the tanks, but NOT through the neck where the cap fastens.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gordy
Gordy
You shouldn't have to look too hard. Read my posting from May 23rd just above yours!
Old 06-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I had a total of 4 X bodies. Two were absolute jewels, believe it or not. A 80 Citation and an 81 Omega.

The Citation had about 50,000 trouble free miles on it until my daughter t-boned an illegal left turn. She sustained minor injuries....car was totaled.

The Omega (v-6 w/manual) had about 40,000 trouble free miles on it when I sold it. Many of those miles were traveling to Colorado to help build a cabin. A friend purchased it for his daughter to use for transportaion while at college. It was stolen and wrecked.

The other two I won't talk about . Except the Skylark had a special paint job.....it was a color "long lead" vehicle. Had a Metallic Maroon for the 84 vehicles (GM sold cars directly to employees at that time).
You bring back old memories. My dad had these cars (he owned his own business, so they were technically his work cars-family cars were 1972 BMW Bavaria, Toyota Cressida, then Lexus). When I got my drivers license, my first car was a 1971 Opel GT, followed by a 1977 Datsun Z. Since they were both 2 seaters with a lot of custom work, I did not use them when I needed more passangers or when going to malls, movies, etc where my cars would be subject to dents or break ins (Brooklyn NY). So I used my dads work cars. Before I turned 17 he had a beautiful 1967 Caddy convertible. It was the first car I ever drove. Sadly, he sold it before I got my license. But he bought a pretty neat car-a new 1973 Comet with the 302 V-8. Very quick. Next, he got an Omega followed by a Citation. They were both good, reliable cars. Then he retired, so he and my mom shared the Lexus.

Seems like only yesterday...

Quick Reply: Do I need a locking gas cap?