General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do I need a locking gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I'm not into lowering but I have to say that would be one advantage of lowering your HHR-- keep people from being able to get underneath it to get to the tank.

To the orig poster, its also not always about keeping things from coming out of your tank but about keeping things (sugar, etc as mentioned) from going in, from vandals.

I have one of the CST brand locking caps on my mine, got it @ Autozone, CST #5903. The Stant brand ones are too tall to allow the fuel door to close.

Looks like the answer right here. Thanks. I had one put on the Vette a month back. Think I'll do the same with this.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by ivtech
About 17 years ago someone put sugar in one of our cars' gas tank.
boy friend??? girl friend??? couldn t resist either
Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 AM

wonder when mfgs will start putting thin armor or self sealing tanks on production cars??? ones that we can afford... think with the cost of gas going up... it it won t be long... why not interior release filler covers like our 90 jag had... that thing was nearlly bullet proof.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 AM

I was underneath my HHR the other day and there is a metal skidplate protecting the gas tank.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I was underneath my HHR the other day and there is a metal skidplate protecting the gas tank.
really... cool... will it keep the thieves from punching the tank? if so, it aut to be first on the points to sell it. you are going to make me look the next time i have the car serviced
Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by REDFLYR
really... cool... will it keep the thieves from punching the tank? if so, it aut to be first on the points to sell it. you are going to make me look the next time i have the car serviced
Just about all newer vehicles have shields, but like anything else they can be removed. Thats how we get the tanks out of the cars and trucks.

I say this is a non issue on the HHR. Our tanks are to small to make it worth while to a thief.

A thief is going to pull up to a vehicle made in the 90's or older with a great big tank in it, with no interior neck protection and steal their gas.

You guys need to worry more about gorbal warming then gas theft.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You guys need to worry more about global warming then gas theft.
I'll take global warming. Have you seen the cost of fuel oil in the Northeast?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
I'll take global warming. Have you seen the cost of fuel oil in the Northeast?
You miss-corrected my spelling in your reply. It's not a quote if you change what I typed.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 PM

You miss-corrected my spelling in your reply. It's not a quote if you change what I typed.

it is ok to SNIP... right?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 PM

I say this is a non issue on the HHR. Our tanks are to small to make it worth while to a thief.
We have bigger tanks than a lot of others I know Colbalt is only 13 as is the Jeep Patriot and Compass along with Dodge Caliber, Honda Civic is 13.2 and I'm sure there are many others with 13 or less. Who else know sizes in other cars?

Quick Reply: Do I need a locking gas cap?