General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do Stock HHRs Have an Anti-Sway Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM

Do Stock HHRs Have an Anti-Sway Bar?

I have 1LT and added the anti-sway bar and love it! Does the "sport suspension" on the 2LT offer it? I'm considering purchasing a new one and need to know if I will have to buy a new one for the new vehicle.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM

It does not have the additional rear anti sway bar. I just added one to my 2LT this past weekend. People have added them to the SS as well.

As far as i know the only difference in the sport suspension is the struts and the shocks (or maybe not the shocks)

so, yes, you will have to buy a new one
Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 PM

The LS and LT do not have a rear bar.

The SS comes with a rear bar.

Some add a aftermarket bar to replace the stock rear bar on the SS. They claim it is better but I have not seen any numbers to show how much improvment there really is.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Why not take it off before you trade? You put it on so take it off and put it on the new 2Lt
Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The LS and LT do not have a rear bar.

The SS comes with a rear bar.

Some add a aftermarket bar to replace the stock rear bar on the SS. They claim it is better but I have not seen any numbers to show how much improvment there really is.
The SS does not come with a rear sway bar stock. I own an SS and just installed a rear sway bar. The SS suspension is very tight but has a little too much initial body lean when entering turns. The sway bar really helps keeps the car flat.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
Why not take it off before you trade? You put it on so take it off and put it on the new 2Lt
Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM

X3. only takes 15 min to take it off. Save yourself the money.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by allsteelers
The SS does not come with a rear sway bar stock. I own an SS and just installed a rear sway bar. The SS suspension is very tight but has a little too much initial body lean when entering turns. The sway bar really helps keeps the car flat.
precisely. i just put one on my SS as well, and i didn't take anything off to put mine on.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by allsteelers
Better tell GM it has none as they list the rear suspension as

Rear: semi-independent torsion beam with montoube gas shocks; 24mm solid stabilizer bar

Check out GMs specs and they all list the SS with a 23 MM front and a 24 MM rear stabilizer bars.

At least that is what is on my SS.

Note the bars is not a bolt on as the one your installing. It is the bar on the underside of the Torsion Beam the runs accross the beam. It is tied inside the ams on the ends of each side.

You don't have to remove it as it is out of the way.

The truth is if you add a bar your running two bars on the back. The second just increases the rate over the stock one.

Keep in mind all bars do not look alike but do pretty much the same job even thought they are designed differently from the norm we are used to.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 AM

All HHR's have this bar,but not of the same diameter.Its more of a torque tube attached between the two swing arm pivot points.Helps add rigidity to the cross beam(takes the flex out).Otherwise if it was a true Sway bar,you'd have over 50mm of bar on the back(including the added sway bar) compared to the 23 on the front.Imagine what That would do to controllability! I believe Chevy just uses it as a marketing tool.Other then skid pad numbers its all in the feel or track time to "see" what it really does to handling. It does work and I'd hate to say it but I'm beginning to think it could use an even bigger bar with a comparable bar on the front..its a short narrow car but with a high CG,so she still rolls a bit.But thats me,I prefer a tighter car,though don't take it as a complaint.Its a great stock handling car!

Quick Reply: Do Stock HHRs Have an Anti-Sway Bar?