General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Does my HHR have satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Does my HHR have satellite radio?

Hi all. I just bought a used 2010 HHR LT. I was under the impression that satellite radio was standard on this model, but I can't figure out how to use it, if it's even there. It's the stock radio, but I don't have any buttons that say XM or Sirius or anything like that. When I press the "band" button it just switches from FM to AM and back. I have a button that says "Cat" but when I press it, I get a message that says "Satellite Only Feature" or words to that effect. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM

@nikko, there is a possibility that your 2010 Chevrolet HHR was a fleet vehicle if you are not the sole owner of it. When a vehicle is ordered in a fleet such as a rental company, they have the option to have the vehicle without satellite radio.

If you would like to provide me with your VIN, I would be happy to research your build sheet information about this.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Deceased

Check your build tag in the glove box nikko, if you don't see code U2K which is the XM radio option, you will have to install the XM module/wiring harness pigtail/antenna in order to receive the XM signal.

If you're HHR is an ex-rental/fleet vehicle, you will probably see code U2J which is the XM radio delete option commonly found on fleet vehicles.

P.S. - to the forum nikko!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by nikko
When I press the "band" button it just switches from FM to AM and back. I have a button that says "Cat" but when I press it, I get a message that says "Satellite Only Feature" or words to that effect. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sounds as if the radio is XM ready, but the XM module is not there. If the module were there, the band selection would include XM in the rotation of AM/FM. You would need to access the XM band to retrieve the XM id# in order to activate it.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yes, it appears my car used to be a rental/fleet vehicle. So what options do I have for having it installed? I assume it's not something I can do myself? Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 AM

This wasn't the question you asked, but I installed a standalone Sirius unit in mine that hooked to the front jack, it worked great but there was an alternator noise coming from the cigarette lighter power output. There are filters for that though, at any rate to me satellite radio is a waste of money. I by far much prefer my phone's free Pandora application for music and free tune in radio app for talk radio.

Though, it's your car, your money and your preference.

But yes, the standalone units you can do yourself with no problem. here's a kit from best buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XM+-+Ony...&skuId=9530215
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM

I'd like to know more about this myself. I have the EXACT same situation and wouldn't MIND adding XM radio (maybe) depending on what it would take to have it done. If it's too much of a hassle, I'll just stick with my CDs. :)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 AM

Stick with the CD's.......
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM

My HHR's window sticker claimed "XM Ready".
It has the antenna, but more hardware (tuner) is required for full XM set-up.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Deceased

Here's an older thread on retrofitting your HHR with XM, there is a kit from GM that includes all the requisite parts.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/xm-installed-17272/

I think the worst part of the install would be taking a drill to the roof of your vehicle, so having it done by a dealer or stereo installer should be something to consider.

Quick Reply: Does my HHR have satellite radio?