General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dome Light Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Skully

Angry Dome Light Disappointment

One night I went to pick up my wife from college and my 2 year old son dropped his juice cup on the floor in the back of our new HHR. I could not find the dome light switch to turn the lights on. What's up with that? The lights only turn on when the doors are open, but I cannot find the switch, if any to turn it on manually. (The manual does not specify a location.) Am I missing something? Someone, please help me out!

Old 03-16-2006, 01:09 AM

It's very simple... kinda hard to explain in words, but I'll give it a shot...

The back/rear dome/reading lights can be turned on by pushing up on the either front two plastic lenses to activate.

(ie: the front half of the dome light facing the rear passengers)

Obviously the back half of the dome light (facing the rear cargo compartment) has the lights controlled via the switch or when the doors open etc.

In simple terms... go in the backseat of your HHR and keep poking your finger up at the dome light until those (one or both) lights turn on.

Very simple/easy... you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps, JD
Old 03-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Skully

Unhappy

JDDrumman,

Thanks for your help. I know what your talking about, but maybe I didn't explain myself well. You see, the vehicle was moving and on all our previous cars, we had a switch on the headlamp knob, or on the dash that could be turned on while the vehicle is in motion. My son was in the backseat and I was driving. Had our daughter been with us at the time, it would not have been a problem to have her operate the light. My concern is that when the kids get a little out of hand, I would not have the power to switch a light on to see what's going on. I guess I'll just have to stop at the nearest convenient store next time. The only time all the lights are automatically on is when you unlock the car with the remote key or when the doors are open. I think Chevy really messed up by not having this feature available. Again, Thanks JD

Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Skully
JDDrumman,

Thanks for your help. I know what your talking about, but maybe I didn't explain myself well. You see, the vehicle was moving and on all our previous cars, we had a switch on the headlamp knob, or on the dash that could be turned on while the vehicle is in motion. My son was in the backseat and I was driving. Had our daughter been with us at the time, it would not have been a problem to have her operate the light. My concern is that when the kids get a little out of hand, I would not have the power to switch a light on to see what's going on. I guess I'll just have to stop at the nearest convenient store next time. The only time all the lights are automatically on is when you unlock the car with the remote key or when the doors are open. I think Chevy really messed up by not having this feature available. Again, Thanks JD
Yep, it is a dumb oversight, but that is how it is.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 AM

Ahhhh... umm... Gotcha, that could be a bit if a problem.

Agreed, GM dropped the ball on that one! I also seem to remember another thread relating to this very problem... some HHR owners were not happy either!

Sorry, wish I knew more.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:18 AM

Am I one of the few that took the time to read the owners' manual when I got my HHR?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:28 AM

My problem is with the front dome light. Having the light on the visor is way too far forward to do any good as far as reading a map or directions at night. I have the sunroof, and it would have been much better to have a light on the control panal for it. I have a gooseneck light that plugs into the cigarette lighter which helps, but I would have preferred a better factor light.

One of my few complaints with the car.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by monster5601
Am I one of the few that took the time to read the owners' manual when I got my HHR?
Nope, read it from cover-to-cover...just don't rememer so much!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
My problem is with the front dome light. Having the light on the visor is way too far forward to do any good as far as reading a map or directions at night.
One of my few complaints with the car.
The nice thing is that you can easily rotate the mirror so that you get the full effect of the lights where you need them. Not as simple as an overhead dome light in the driver area, but the light you can get is truly far brighter.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:07 PM

Here is my view on the dome lights , I am thinking GM decided to not give the feature of being able to turn your dome light on from the front for the following reasons.

1. The only time that you would turn on your dome light would be at night, Gm and myself knows that is reduces your visibility by no less than 50% in the cab area. (not safe)

2. I understand that sometimes Children can get out hand while driving and the first reaction is to turn around to look over the problem in the back seat,that being said, if you are turning around to look at the back your eyes are no longer on the road, on average it only takes 1-5 seconds for your front view to change while doing this,also 98 % of drivers looking over their right shoulder while driving, almost always pull their steering wheel to the left into on coming traffic. (another very unsafe practice)

I think Gm did this on purpose for safety reasons, I have been a professional driver going on my 25th year and I am just short of celebrating my 3 million safe miles award,I used to teach safe driving practices for the trucking industry,and I have seen every possible accident and I have many stats that I could give you about it .Bottom line here is...you should be pulling over to deal with the back seat, I think GM knows this as well and if you think about it ,Gm wants their customers to remain alive to sell them another vehicle in future.

Also if and when you decide to pull over to take care of your precious cargo(loved ones) and you are on a highway or freeway, it is always best to pull off the freeway off ramp,but do not park on the exit ramp, this is a very dangerous place as well ,most people getting off the freeeway are tired from a long day at work/ long drive time and their awareness is low, it is best to go and get on the on ramp, this is where people are fresh i.e. stopped for coffee/rested or are just starting their drive,this is the safer place to get out and check on the back seat .

Quick Reply: Dome Light Disappointment