General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

dome light question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 AM

dome light question

Anyone know how the dome light is held onto the roof/headliner? I want to turn it around 180 degrees so the main light will light up the cabin whe the door is open and the pushbutton lights can be used to light the cargo area whe needed- I dont need reading lights in the back seat. Is this someting that can be done easily?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Sounds like it just pops off

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=dome+light
Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 AM

According to the shop manual, you must lower the headliner enough to gain access to the housing. There are two lenses and both pop/pry out. The diagram does not show how the main unit is held to the roof...no screws are illustrated.
Hope that helps
Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 AM

I know the cover pops off (although it refuses to pop back on), I want to remove the whole unit ant reinstall it facing the opposite direction to make better use of the limited lighting available.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nick's dad
I know the cover pops off (although it refuses to pop back on), I want to remove the whole unit ant reinstall it facing the opposite direction to make better use of the limited lighting available.
I had the cover off a few days ago. It is very hard to get back on. Took me about 20 minutes with having to push up VERY hard on the headliner. It looked to me like the liner would need to be pulled for the assembly but wasn't sure.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:20 PM

I agree, the light is scarce....
Especially if you have a sun roof.
The majority of the light comes from the rear dome.
I agree, if you can turn that around 180 degrees, it would throw enough light towards the front.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by laborkei
I agree, the light is scarce....
Especially if you have a sun roof.
The majority of the light comes from the rear dome.
I agree, if you can turn that around 180 degrees, it would throw enough light towards the front.
I am still searching the forum since I am new here, but was wondering if anyone has simply jumpered the power for the rear courtesy light directly to the reading light sockets. It seems to me, if you did this - the reading lights would still function as intended via their individual switches - plus, they both would turn on when the doors open - giving some much needed light.

It seems simple in theory ;-)

Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 PM

i took off my dome light to paint. it was a pain to get it off and more of a pain to get it back on. i did it with out pulling the headliner, but man oh man did i have some trouble. i was looking for the pic but i cant seem to find it. i also had it on putfile.com but i forgot what email i used and all that stuff...go figure. i know MIKE did it too on "BOB" and he can vouch that it was a major PITA.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 PM

i can not turn my steering wheel whats wrong do i need steering fluid where do i put it
Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 PM

oh yes my hhr is an 07 with 41600 miles no warranty on will the 5yr 100.000 waranty qualify fo gm to fix this problem if is need a electric power steering system please help

Quick Reply: dome light question