General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

dome light question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:05 PM

It has electric steering. I am not sure if this is under the 5 yr. warranty. Take it to a dealer, they will tell you.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Here is what MCT discribed in a post from 2008> I followed his direction and had it done in less than 10 min with no muss or fuss. For anyone with a 08 and earlier HHR I would recomend the change.

I just pulled the complete lens cover off. No problems, no removing individual map light/main lens, no priying four fingers off. The whole thing came off, no problems.

Once you realize there is a magnet holding the white housing in-place it becomes so much easier to understand. (I thought there were some type of clips, etc., holding the white housing in. Nope, just a magnet).

Pull down the headliner a bit so you can get the electrical wiring clip, at the front of the white housing, undone. You need to work the white housing down a little through the hole in the headliner so you can pry up the small clip that happens to be on top of your wiring clip. A mirror shoved up next to it will reveal the clip. Gently pry up with a small screwdriver and pull out the grey electrical wiring clip. It will have a grey, blue and black wire. Now just shove the white housing out of the way, pulling the headliner down a bit will allow you to do this.

Now, there may be enough wire if you stick your arm far enough up into the ceiling area to loosen it. I got just enough slack so I could bring the wire down out of the headliner hole and lengthened the wires by five or six inches. A bit of soldering and heat shrink and your'e all good. No sticking your arm up to your armpit into the roof area by doing it this way. May add an extra half-hour, but your wires aren't straining against anything.

Now bring your white housing back into play by pulling down on the headliner and working it back into the hole area. Plug the wiring plug back in and rotate the whole mess around so the main light faces forward.

Now, to put the lens housing back up it may behoove you to remove the large clear lens from the, (in my case), grey housing. The two clips near the maplight snapped right in, but the front clips were a bit recalictrant. I used a piece of safety wire to make a loop around the clip and pulled the clip down while I pushed up on the lens housing. Then did the same for the other side. Snap in the main clear housing, which should be facing forward after all of this work, and enjoy more light to the front.

As for the power steering issued in this thread????? Check the fuse under the hood they can blow kill the power to the electric power steering motor. It is usally that simple. If you jumped started this some times will also blow the fuse if done improperly.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nick's dad
Anyone know how the dome light is held onto the roof/headliner? I want to turn it around 180 degrees so the main light will light up the cabin whe the door is open and the pushbutton lights can be used to light the cargo area whe needed- I dont need reading lights in the back seat. Is this someting that can be done easily?
Very easy mod: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ome+light+turn
Old 11-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
According to the shop manual, you must lower the headliner enough to gain access to the housing. There are two lenses and both pop/pry out. The diagram does not show how the main unit is held to the roof...no screws are illustrated.
Hope that helps
I heard there are 4 push me pull me fasteners to the housing. You may need a tool to pull the unit down. Pushing in back in requires some extra force. Good Luck.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gjweinert
I heard there are 4 push me pull me fasteners to the housing. You may need a tool to pull the unit down. Pushing in back in requires some extra force. Good Luck.
Good information BUT, you do realize the person to whom you are addressing your response had written his questions and comments OVER 8 YEARS AGO. The thread has been "dead" for 5 years.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Raising the dead thread, can get you links to your answer you seek , Luke Skywalker, but I read these few links and saw no pictures just explanations of how hard or easy it was to get that magnetic field to give up the secrets of what's under the dome!! Or in this case above it!!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by SIRESMERPH
i took off my dome light to paint. it was a pain to get it off and more of a pain to get it back on. i did it with out pulling the headliner, but man oh man did i have some trouble. i was looking for the pic but i cant seem to find it. i also had it on putfile.com but i forgot what email i used and all that stuff...go figure. i know MIKE did it too on "BOB" and he can vouch that it was a major PITA.
Hi, The ring of the dome light and lenses pop off by pulling the unit with both hands straight down. There is a post guide near the center to use when snapping it pack in place. I had problems with the slider to turn the light in on of 3 positions, on, off, on when door opens. I will see where there is a replacement slider. It may be possible to turn the base so the main cargo light faces to the front. Do not know. Have Fun, Jerry The dealer quoted 65.00 for the whole unit and 200.00 to install it. I think the slider is like 7.95.