General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Drat! First time in 20 years

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by mchuntley
True, one of the things I have learned over time is that the one thing you really own in life is your own choices. And If I want to Talk the Talk, I need to walk the Walk. Ya cannot blame an officer for doing his job.

My kids were in the back seat(21 year old know it all). All I wish is that the eldest had shut up while I was talking with the officer about how I was tagged, I really wanted to know. The "Daddy we are _late_" from the back seat did not help!

The LIDAR is fascinating stuff, as all the have to do it hit your front plate, or either headlight and they can lock your speed easily. Headlights are especially good for this sort of thing. The guns are about $4300, and the officer has to be trained.

My Last car was a 1986 VW vanagon. It had at most 2/3 of the horsepower that the HHR does. it had to work to get to those speeds. The HHR throttle is _light_, and it gets going fast even with the 2.2, IMHO. It was my foot on it though!

The worst part is, I normally keep it under 80, at most 75. That day I broke my own rule, and see what happened...

I need to put a Han Solo quote on the dash somewhere, from SW #2/5...
"I dunno, Fly Casual!"

I hope to meet you one day
Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Guess you never had any experiences with the "chippies" of Californicate !!!
I don't know about now, but I was cooking the interstate back in 1973 outside of Needles. I was driving a 1960 T-Bird about 100 mph. Quite suddenly a huge black and white Dodge Polara pulled along side of me and just gave a slow down gesture with his hand and continued on his way. I was lucky, he could have used several pages in his ticket book that day. After that, I always thought well of the CHP...still do.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Those guys are long gone. Different breed now....for about the last 15-20 years.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 AM

Right about the same time TV's "CHiPs" thankfully dropped off the air!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:24 AM

I got my first ticket in 30 years last August in Nevada on the way back from Bonneville. Ely to Tonopah is 187 miles of Nothing and it is easy to cruis on that stretch. The problem came when I hit Tonopah and their 25 MPH limit, almost impossible to do after almost 3 hours of cruising at highway speed. Traffic court wouldn't do me any good I was told since it was an out of state ticket.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:32 PM

Generalizations about LEO / CHP are really secondary here.
If you see someone weaving in traffic to pass other vehicles early on Sat morning during low traffic, no matter if you (the LEO ) are a nice guy / woman, no matter what the car / color is, you are going to investigate
( close in, check their speed, look inside the car, ect and probably do
a stop -- if for no other reason than to check DUI).
When the perp (meant nicly to a member of the family here !! ) agrees to the cause for the ticket, not sure why all the LEO bashing and ticket beating discussion.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfer Panel
Generalizations about LEO / CHP are really secondary here. If you see someone weaving in traffic to pass other vehicles early on Sat morning during low traffic, no matter if you (the LEO ) are a nice guy / woman, no matter what the car / color is, you are going to investigate
( close in, check their speed, look inside the car, ect and probably do
a stop -- if for no other reason than to check DUI). .
No problem, as I know I was outside of my normal behavior, and I was definitly painting a bullseye on myself.
Not weaving though. LOL

When the perp (meant nicly to a member of the family here !! ) agrees to the cause for the ticket, not sure why all the LEO bashing and ticket beating discussion.
I think that is due to the fact the nobody likes a ticket, and probably everyone would like to beat a ticket. Everyone is at least partially a scoff-law, otherwise we would never have cars that could exceed the speed limit!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Generalizations about LEO / CHP are really secondary here...... not sure why all the LEO bashing and ticket beating discussion.

Basic psychology 101....

Many people resent the presence of authority. It infringes on dailey activities and lives especially when it challenges (by a ticket) a percieved skill (driving). And most drivers think they are good or better than good drivers. Which adds to the insult of the violation.