General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Drivers Seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:42 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 28
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! Sorry I can't be of help, I'm only 5'10".
Old 01-11-2008, 06:43 PM

First, Welcome to the site. There seems to be a height issue and the people with the sun roof notice it more. Now I also think it depend on how the person is built, meaning long legs or more height in the upper body. Those with longer legs may have no problems but those with more height in the upper body will have head issues. I am 5-11 and have only sat in one with a sun roof and it felt fine. I will be buying very,very soon.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 27
Size:  38.2 KB

Same topic discussed in the following thread w/ same title.......

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12448

Originally Posted by BlackBettie
My Husband and I just bought a 266 HHR
A new model for the HHR?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:56 AM

Fitting into cars (not just the HHR) is one of the very few disadvantages of being tall. I have no sympathy - being a diminutive 5'7". One of the few advantages of being short is the ability to fit into almost any vehicle without problems.

Please don't send me the lyrics to Randy Newman's song!

Willie R.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:34 AM

I am 6', and have no problem as far as visibility...I've driven cars that had similar problems as far as seat position. I just adapt.

I do however have a different slight complaint and that is I have to move the seat up so I can reach the steering wheel comfortably without having to hold the weight of my arms. What this does is cause me to have to bend my knees more, and that puts my right knee on the leading edge of the center console where it meets the lower part of the dash.
If I put the seat back where my legs are comfortable, I have to extend my arms quite a bit to reach the steering wheel.

It's a matter of preference...my shin just below my knee rubs the lower part of the dash near the climate control when my arms are comfortable.

I guess I am just used to cars that the pedals are farhter under the dash, or the steering column extends out farther/closer to the driver.

My other cars the seat is lower to the floor, and the pedals extend further under the dash, so my legs are almost straight, and my hands reach the steering wheel comfortably.

I have played with the seat position to the point where I have found the best trade off...

Hopefully your husband can do the same. I spend 1 hour driving to work in the morning, and 1 1/2 hours+ driving home, so comfort is critical.

every car is unique...drivers need to adapt...it is a compromise when you are buying a car...comfort, visibility, design...finding all 3 that fit every driver perfectly is a rare feat.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM

I agree about the steering wheel. When I travel on the interstate, using the cruise control, I move the seat up and the steering wheel down. That helps avoid fatigue in my arms. Of course, it's hard to get out when I stop at a rest area. But I think the HHR would much more comfortable if the steering wheel were positioned further away from the dash. I would love if it were telescoping but I've only seen that in Corvettes.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I agree about the steering wheel. When I travel on the interstate, using the cruise control, I move the seat up and the steering wheel down. That helps avoid fatigue in my arms. Of course, it's hard to get out when I stop at a rest area. But I think the HHR would much more comfortable if the steering wheel were positioned further away from the dash. I would love if it were telescoping but I've only seen that in Corvettes.
I agree but I just got mine today and it doesn't seem as bad as some cars. Wife has a jeep compass and it is terrible, feels like my arms are going to fall off. Think part has to do with safety, in an accident the steering column doesn't make you look like a dog on a stick. Now, in Nascar the structure is strong enough so the wheel is right back there in there laps, no arm fatigue for the driver. As for head room, I have just over 2 inches between me and the roof(have sunroof) and I'm 5-11(when I was younger) or maybe 5-10 since I got old.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:09 PM

my 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC has a telescoping steering column. It's fantastic...you can toggle it up or down, plus closer or further away from your torso for maximum comfort. it can provide
easy entry" where it sucks back in towards the dash and the seat moves back automatically for you to enter/exit the vehicle...it is a huge luxury....

...except....

the ball-bearing "in track" design is flawed, and eventually the column can sieze, and fail to move. Furthermore, it can actually come apart while you're driving, or over extend and land in your lap. Ford had a recall to install over-extension cables to prevent this from happening...but it can still wear out.

I have disabled the "easy entry" feature of the car through the driver's onboard control center. There is a built-in option to turn that feature off, so the column stays in one place all the time.

I'd rather get used to not having that feature, than prepare to replace it when it fails.

same with the HHR...I might actually build a little pad for the lower part of the dash where the side of my shin rests...

as for the nascar drivers with the wheel in their lap...the car's c0ckpit is purpose built to fit the driver's body measurements...pedal position, steering wheel position, seat height, etc...of course, if they had airbags on their steering wheels, they'd all be in serious trouble with the wheel that close to their heads.

Perhaps Chevy will change the column some day...not every driver has the same leg-to-arm-to torso measurements.