General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

DRL question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
I don't know...we've had ours since new and haven't had to change the bulbs yet.
I wonder why the change to lowered voltage headlights? I still like the way the amber parking light looks. When I first got my 2007, I wondered why, and still do.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
If ya have foglights, when you turn them on in daytime, the DLR's go off & parks light up, with the fogs..
I just don't like how ALL of the parking lights turn on with the fogs. To me it just looks like I turned on the parking lamp switch.

So it is safe to say then that there is no way to reprogram my DRLs? Even through the steering wheel master menu? I noticed a while ago that they had a few settings for the lights, but I didn't really understand what they meant (besides the AHL settings, I know what that does).
Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 PM

not even a reprogram of the BCM from your dealer could alter how your DRLs function. the only options are deal with it, or major alterations on your part. and i don't believe simple wire rearranging will accomplish the job, as i believe the signals are sent from the BCM. that means there is a single wire feeding your DRL signal, and high beam signal to the bulb ('07+). a very similar issue to trying to separate your rear turn signal from your brake light...they travel on the exact same wire, and the BCM tells the bulb when to do which function. wire your DRL wire to your turn signal, and your high beams will become completely nonoperational, and turning on your high beams would just send more voltage to your turn signal.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM

I could be wrong so i will appologize to begin with. Reading all this on a phone can be a hassle sometimes... first thing i did in the dealership parking lot when i bought my '09 was yank fuse #31 to disable my DRL's (page 5-112 in the owners manual)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 PM

Mine is a 2010 and I hate the DRL. What I found I could do on mine is cycle the headlight switch on the left stalk. Every time I start up I just rotate it toward me and let it go to shut off the DRL. If I decide I want them on again, I just rotate it toward me and let it go again. Maybe yours can do the same thing.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Ya I just yanked the fuse for now. I'll look into making a custom wiring harness when I get me next retro done. I'll probably just tap off of the DRL fuse or relay and run a signal wire to an auxiliary relay.

Yonash: I don't think that rewiring the DRL should disable the high beams, cause it is pretty much the same as pulling the fuse; it breaks the circuit for that line.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 PM

I will have to double check the wiring diagram, but I believe the fuse is before the BCM. If I am correct in how I'm thinking the system operates, the fuse being gone or blown alerts the BCM to a fault condition, so the BCM doesn't send out the DRL signal. Rewiring straight from the fuse to an aux relay might work, depending on if the fuse is supplying enough voltage to operate the relay. Again, I am not 100% sure on this, I'd have to look it up, but the BCM handles most of the lighting signals basically as responses to detected inputs from fuses and/or switches and such. Car electronics aren't anywhere near the simple circuits they used to be.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Just shut the Auto Light function off by rotating the knob on the stalk clockwise momentarily. It's spring-loaded so it will return on it's own. Presto - no daytime running lights.