General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Duplicate Keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Duplicate Keys

Picked up an '09 HHR LT2 last week, only came with one key. I ordered 2 key blanks from ebay took them to my local hardware store and had them cut. They both lock and unlock the drivers door but do not turn in the ignition. A close inspection shows the new keys to look like a perfect cut. The instructions for programming the new keys says i have to be able to turn the ignition. What could be the problem ???
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

welcome to the forum. do you mean the fob? Or the hard keys?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Deceased

to the forum tpaul!

It sounds like the hardware store didn't get the key blanks cut exactly right, whatever you do, don't force the key in the ignition...they are a touch fragile. I'd take the keys back and demonstrate the problem to the manager, if they can't finesse the keys into working, head to a locksmith.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Officer1151
welcome to the forum. do you mean the fob? Or the hard keys?
huh?? He said key. Sounds like a bad cut.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:49 AM

There is a programming procedure that must be followed to program your vehicle for the new keys. It takes 30 min and involves turning on the ignition without starting the car and leaving the key in that position for 10 min. This is repeated 3 times. You should see a prompt to enter the next key after the initial key is programmed.
I read this information on this board and I am sure that you can find more about this if you do a search. The new key would have to be the one with the transponder embedded. There is a mark on the key that indicates this. If you key is not the one with the transponder ( they are available without) It will not matter what you do, it will only open the door. Good luck
Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 PM

Sheesh guys. It won't turn the tumbler in the column. It definitely sounds like a bad cut.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by nacademus
Sheesh guys. It won't turn the tumbler in the column. It definitely sounds like a bad cut.
I had to read it again to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

My experience with key replacement and key cutters....

the SLIGHTEST BURR will cause problems such as you mention.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM

Snoopy's correct-the first thing to check is that there aren't any burrs on the blanks.However,since the keys open the door but don't turn the ignition I have another thought.If the doors were opened most of the time by the prior owner(s) using the fob rather than the key there won't be as much wear in the door cylinders as in the ignition cylinder.From personal experience I know that trying to use a new key in a very worn cylinder can be impossible.Is the original key worn down to the brass?If it is,then that key and ignition cylinder have worn in together and only that key will work.Also,if one side of the key is cut just slightly out of line with the other side of the key that will cause what you experienced to happen.Have the key shop retrace your new keys and retry them.If they still don't work you'll need new blanks.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Rest In Peace

As was already said, take them Back to the place that cut them. And HOPE they just need a little extra hand filing and weren't cut to much from the start.

Now I gotta ask, Why did you not get a spare key and a spare fob (if it was also missing) when you bought the car?

NEVER buy a car with just one, I always INSIST they supply me with a spare, and you know what, I have Always got them.
They will give you some BS story, but in the end they want to Sell that car and a key and a fob missing, they won't let you walk out the door if thats the only thing keeping you from buying it right then and there.

Never except their BS line they don't have it, Insist that they replace it free of charge, or you will Not buy the car. After you have already settled on the price, then hit them with the second key and fob. I just say were are my wifes keys and fob for the car? Can't buy it without those ya know, they scramble like chickens with their heads cut off looking for them or calling dealers to get it ASAP.

My HHR Panel had 1 key and 1 fob, Until I said I will Need the second key and fob before we take the car as the guy was writing up the agreed upon deal we already made on price.
They sent someone to go get a key and a Panel Fob from another Chevy Dealer while they wrote up the paperwork, I did not sign anything or hand over the check, until the Mechanic was programming them to my Panel.

Seems alot of people just let the key thing go when buying a used car, some keys and fobs aren't cheap these days, Always insist they supply the spares, they will if they know your gonna walk if they don't.

Quick Reply: Duplicate Keys