General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

E85

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:52 PM

E85

Doe's anyone use E85? Any negative side affects other than less MPG?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 PM

funnyi just used it today. i drive from san antonio to austin, tx everyday round trip so today was my first time trying it. despite the rumors i notice they burn the same mileage wise however i did notice one thing i didnt like. when at 1/8 a tank and heading to the gas station, while at a stop the car sputters almost as if it wants to die. now im always on 1/8 on reg gas thats how i knew it was the 85 doing it. went to gas station and filled up on reg unleaded and went to work. came home on 1/8 a tank and i let it idle at a light close to my house and nothing. i didnt like the sputtering so im not gonna do that anymore. what i will do to save money though is just not let it get passed 1/4 tank. other than that i didnt see any difference in usage other then saving 30 a gallon
hope it helps
Old 01-23-2010, 03:47 AM

Thumbs up

been using it for 6 months---it's all good!!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:53 AM

I ran three tanks through mine. My mileage penalty worked out to between 15 and 20%. I had no operational issues, and I had an E85 Impala before this car that I ran plenty of the fuel through. If you want to use it, go right ahead. I would recommend that you see how much the mileage hit is on your vehicle, and pay attention to the price spread in your area. If running RUG is cheaper overall, I'd run that.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 AM

You won't gain a thing if your computer is not tuned for it and in fact you are using much more of it and I'd bet the pollutants RISE.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 PM

I use E85 whenever possible. It does burn about 15% faster, but the price difference in the Buffalo,NY area is about .60 per/gal. So it's cheaper to use the E85. There are only a handful of places to get E85 around here and luckily the cheapest one is on my way to and from work. Also, I've noticed the car takes of like a rocket as compared to regular gas. I've run it right down to E and never have had any problems.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:31 PM

Can the rest of us ask someone to post a couple of gallons used and cost per a couple tanks of E-85.

All I understand is you get less MPG with E-85 with less cost of E-85 gas.I would like to see how many gallons for a 1,000 mile trip it would take.

Also I understand your computer will adjust to E-85 on your full tank as compared to adding it to a half tank.

I have a 2009 Silverado also besides my 2006 HHR 2.4.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:07 PM

I used it my Impala.The only problem I noticed was it wouldn't start my car with the remote start on the first try.So I stopped using it.The dealership couldn't figure out why either.Plus in my area it was only a cost savings of 10 cents a gal.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tominator
You won't gain a thing if your computer is not tuned for it and in fact you are using much more of it and I'd bet the pollutants RISE.
If your car has the equipment needed to run E85, then it will adjust the tune to run properly. There is less energy in alcohol, so the mileage drops. Since there is insufficient infrastructure up as of yet to have E85 at every gas station, it will be some time before we see E85 only vehicles, that can take full advantage of the higher octane of the fuel.

E85 is a cooler burning fuel so NOx emissions go down, does not have near the quantity of hydrocarbons of pump gas, and is mostly "carbon neutral" for the greenie folks. Even better is that it is produced in this country.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman
If your car has the equipment needed to run E85, then it will adjust the tune to run properly. There is less energy in alcohol, so the mileage drops. Since there is insufficient infrastructure up as of yet to have E85 at every gas station, it will be some time before we see E85 only vehicles, that can take full advantage of the higher octane of the fuel.

E85 is a cooler burning fuel so NOx emissions go down, does not have near the quantity of hydrocarbons of pump gas, and is mostly "carbon neutral" for the greenie folks. Even better is that it is produced in this country.
It takes more energy to make it than gasoline and it is heavily subsidized by the government and tax exempt. It is a crutch put in place by those that believe energy independence is priceless [they will gladly take your money just don't try to use theirs] and those that stand gain something by artificial markets [farmers] when in fact E85 does NOTHING to help with pollution or REDUCE foreign oil dependency.