General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ECM updates?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 PM

ECM updates?

So.... I have read several post where their HHR had to go to the dealership for what ever reason and they had the ECM updated? and they say that there were 20 some updates? am I missing something here? I have a 2007 2LT with an unknown background should I take mine in and have the ECM updated ? also everyone talks about getting the "Tune" done... well I have to almost stall my HHR when taking off in first gear or I am spinning the tires would a "tune" make a big difference?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM

ECM upgrade

I was getting terrible gas mileage, had 21 upgrades cos t at the Chevy dealer $92.00 well worth it big change inmileage and performance.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 PM

If you take it in for something else (like warranty work, or really anything), wouldn't they check for that and install it at that time? So, how would I know if my '06 needs any updates?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
If you take it in for something else (like warranty work, or really anything), wouldn't they check for that and install it at that time? So, how would I know if my '06 needs any updates?
I went in just to have them repregram my ECM was there about 1 and half hours on the way home on the frwy at 70 mph was getting 34 mpg had never had it that high, they cant tell until they plug into the computer, glad I had it donr.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Great.... Now something else I'll want done. They must really hate me at the dealer....

It could be worth a shot... I mean, I don't get the mileage I would expect...
Old 01-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Deceased

Maybe I'm spoiled, but my dealer checks for updates and installs them when I'm in for service, no extra charge. Why others don't do that as a matter of course is just one of the reasons that dealers get the bad reputations that a lot of them justly deserve.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 PM

All of the updates should be available at no charge. Having to pay to fix the manufacturer's mistakes is a ripoff. It would be real easy for them to put bugs into a program to keep you coming back to upgrade.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 AM

well so then....

To answer my question is this something I should have done? and how do I go about asking the dealership to do it? I mean what do I say? "Hey I want my ECM reprogramed just because and install any updates while your at it"?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Deceased

I'd ask the service manager about ECM updates for your vehicle, he can check for any without too much trouble, and they can reflash the ECM. Its something that should be done if there are any updates available, you might not notice a huge performance improvement, but like your home computer...why not have the most current software running. So I guess to answer your question, yes have it done, but only if the dealer is honest and they don't charge you some ridiculous amount for the service.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM

I just got back from my dealer, it is the largest dealership in the area. I finally got my remote FOBs programmed correctly so that everything works. I know my 2008 had not been into the dealership since the warranty expired because they have no record of it and they said their search also checks other dealerships.

When I asked about ECM updates, the service manager told me they do not routinely do them, they only apply a ECM update to solve an issue or problem. He said there can be thousands of updates, but unless they need one of them to fix a specific problem, like when the "check engine" warning comes on, they do not update the vehicle.

This doesn't make sense to me and is contrary to what I'm reading here in the forum.

Last edited by Musky; 01-24-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: ECM updates?